Unexpected Bantam Chick, Help!

ParrotsNPullets

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Upstate New York
It's been a long time since I've posted much on this forum, but we're kind of desperate right now!

Our broody bantam Cochin has been trying to hatch our D'Uccles' eggs and we didn't think they would actually hatch because she was constantly pushed off of them by the other birds, and we've had broody hens before and never had a hatch.

Well... today I came home from work and saw my husband was cleaning out the coops, so I went outside to check on him and the chickens. When I peeked into the bantam coop I saw a white eggshell with red veins dried on it - I thought one of our standard sized hens raided the nest! It wasn't until I had left to show my husband and we came back to the coop that I heard a peep!

The poor little thing was mostly dried from hatching and my Cochin wants nothing to do with him. So, we moved him inside into our emergency chicken cage (a rabbit cage) with papertowels down, our heat lamp, a bantam chick waterer, and some mashed pellets.

The little thing just keeps peeping and peeping, and won't quiet unless I lower my hand into the cage for him to cuddle. Is there anything different I should do for a freshly hatched chick???

I've raised hatchery and local chicks just fine but I guess I'm super nervous having our very first 'home grown' chick. To top it off, we think the mother was my very favorite pet Mille Fleur hen who recently passed away. So this chick is extremely important.

Any advice is 100% appreciated. I'm off to get some chick starter!

I agree with aggie9296, I would also really try to get it a friend or 2, they don't like being alone and it will make it easier to put it back in with the flock when they get bigger

Heat and feed and water and it wil be fine. If you want to get another young chick as a companion, that might help it quiet down.

Thank you for the replies, the little peep made it through the night without too much cheeping.

I've checked the other eggs in the nest and it looks like a couple more might hatch, so I hope this poor little thing might get a sibling or two. I guess if that doesn't happen I'll have to go on a chick hunt!
jumpy.gif

I like to hang something light from the top of the coop. the chick should peck at and keep it occupied.:thumbsup

Thank you for the replies, the little peep made it through the night without too much cheeping.

I've checked the other eggs in the nest and it looks like a couple more might hatch, so I hope this poor little thing might get a sibling or two. I guess if that doesn't happen I'll have to go on a chick hunt!
jumpy.gif
that's awesome! and i agree with everybody else, your adorable little chick needs another chick to talk to.

I like to hang something light from the top of the coop. the chick should peck at and keep it occupied.

I just got home from work and my husband warned me before I took the little chick out that he/she has gotten a lot 'crazier'. He wasn't kidding! The little guy hopped up 2 inches from the brooder's floor to get into my hand & he was trying to crawl all over my shirt.

I have a small parakeet mirror that I think this little guy might enjoy, so I'm going to try hanging that from his cage. Thanks for the idea, I'll report how it goes. :)

Where in upstate NY are you? I just hatched chicks yesterday and could spare a chick friend if you are anywhere near me. :)

Aww that's super nice of you!
hugs.gif

Unfortunately I'm in Syracuse and it looks like you're in Saratoga, which is a bit too far for me to be able to make the trip out there. Thank you though, that's very nice of you!

I did hang the little parakeet mirror for my chickie and it seems to calm him/her down a little bit, but we're still holding it as much as we can during the day so it isn't so isolated.

Back
Top Bottom