Unexpected - but welcome - houseguests. Pay it forward.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 22, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    If you don't already know, the whole of W. WA state has been hit really hard with snow and ice. Last night DBF and I were watching the news, which was showing pics of all the stranded people at the airport. It broke our hearts to see all the people who were stranded, and likely will be for the next few days. People wre exhausted, hungry, tired, and at their wit's end.

The first guaranteed flights out are 12/27.

We decided to do something about it. We loaded up our car with blankets, and left the house around 11:30 p.m. It had been snowing for hours and the roads were deep with snow.

The airport is about 20-25 miles from our house. It took us an hour to get there but we made it safely. I went inside while DBF stayed in the car.

I was looking for someone to bring home with me.

I eventually found an elderly couple on their way home to Canada from Mexico, where they over-winter. They were traveling with their little dog and had just hunkered down in a corner of the airport to spend the night. When I offered them a bed for the night, the wife lit up: she has asthma and the cold of the airport was doing her in. The husband is recovering from a recent back injury.

We loaded them into our car. It was 2:30a by the time we got home.

They spent last night and all day today at our home. What's funny is that I had fresh bread, a ham, biscotti, and all kinds of goodies perfect for guests. I guess it was meant to be to host these people for the past day!

They've purchased train/bus tickets to complete the final leg of their journey. We're hopeful for them that the train/bus service is back up and running again, as cancellations have been par for the course. We're taking them to the train station in a couple of hours, and won't leave them until they are guaranteed seats.

It feels awesome and so humbling to pay it forward.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    you are amazing.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What an awesome thing to do! I'm sure they felt very blessed.

4. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Kudos to you for doing that! Bless your heart [​IMG]

5. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    The true spirit of Christmas, proud of you.

That is so kind, what a wonderul thing to do.

Hope you have the very best Christmas,

Jena

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

SUPER! But somehow I'm not surprised that YOU did that after reading some of your former posts and replies.

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Quote:Holy Cow!! You are my hero, how utterly selfless [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    What a great Christmas gift for them and yourselves!! That is the spirit of Christmas
    Tink

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Awesome!

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    If anything has ever inspired the spirit of Christmas, what you did for those folks certainly did. Im sure they will be grateful and never forget your kindness for each holiday season they celebrate from here on in. What a wonderful thing you did for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by