Unexpected chick death - Isolated incident? Prevent more losses?

gingerviolinist

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
I know chick death is part of life, but I've successfully brooded ducks and chickens for several years without any losses. Perhaps I was just lucky!

A week old lavender orpington chick died this evening. She was active last night, a little extra sleepy this morning, and eating and drinking normally today around noon. Came to check on the chicks around 6pm and she was unresponsive and her heart stopped a few minutes later in my hand.

Over this past week, I'd noticed she was clumsy and scratches behind both ears a lot and her growth wasn't keeping up with the other lavender orpington chick. Her wing feathers also weren't fluffing out like the other chicks.

Trying to discern if this was a random event or if there is something larger at play. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

There is a couple spots of chick poo that are tinged slightly red, so I'm wondering if I should get some Corid and go ahead with treatment for the remaining 5 chicks. I've attached a poo photo if anyone who's experienced coccidiosis before could tell me how this looks.

I've been feeding 18% organic starter/grower since I picked them up last Monday. Should I switch to medicated?

Temp under the radiant heat bulb fluctuates from 77-127, typically hovering around 98 degrees. Air temperature has been 55-56 degrees. I moved them up to the main level of the house (air temperature at 65-66 degrees) and raised the heat lamp to 90 degrees.

I gave them both normal room temp water and Save-A-Chick electrolyte water.

They are mostly happy peeping, with a few distressed peeps here and there, perhaps due to all the changes?
IMG_1976.jpg
IMG_1904.jpg

I think it highly likely it was failure to thrive, which usually takes about a week to kick in, often from latient bacteria in the gut from hatching conditions.

I would be certain to keep your temps more steady as that can shock those who are more delicate. Be certain to have a warm end and a cooler end, with food and water away from the heat end. That way chicks can find a comfort zone that fits their needs.

I seriously doubt it is Coccidiosis. The oocysts (parasite eggs) generally take about 2 weeks to develop, then about another week to proliferate enough to cause infestation. The poo doesn't look abnormally to me on my screen. Coccidiosis is usually frank red blood, or watery watermelon colored poo. If concerned, you can put them on a round, but I think it unlikely.

I think you've done all you can for the situation. Continue to monitor and watch to make sure no sniffles or huddle fluff appearances appear in the rest.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Lots of reasons why new chicks die. Shipping stress which can show up days later, constipation/pasty butt, which can kill in as little as 24 hours, heat stress when the brooder is not large enough so that chicks can move well away from the heat zone to shed excess heat, and coccidiosis, which usually isn't an issue with chicks being brooded indoors, and as @Lady of McCamley said, failure-to-thrive is all too common and can be associated with pasty butt and constipation.

You can go ahead and treat the chicks with Corid since it can't hurt. But I would raise the heat lamp so the heat footprint is no warmer than 85F, especially if you see the chicks panting and hanging out farthest from the heat zone.

Chick grit is something I advise even though you may be feeding only chick crumbles. It kits out the gizzard and will go a long way toward establishing a healthy digestive system.

Thank you both for your replies! All seem to be doing well today. Temp is staying between 88-89. After further examining the feed I had been providing, there were many large chunks of non pulverized grain and corn, so I went ahead and switched to medicated chick crumbles and added chick grit and probiotics. Thanks for reassuring me about the cocci. I really appreciate your responses!

Back
Top Bottom