unexpected death

Taeday

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
this morning my fiancé opened the coop to let out our girls at around 6:45am.he didn’t count them as they came out he just opened the door for them.i headed outside at around 1:30pm to check their water and for eggs and when i opened the coop i saw one of my girls laying with her head tucked under her.i nudged her and she was stiff. she was dead but she was fine last night and there were no broken spots or entry points on the coop.i checked her over as best i could and didn’t see any injuries at all. any idea as to what happened?

It happens sometimes. Maybe an illness, or an internal defect she had.

Keep an eye out for any others that start to look lethargic or sick. Clean out the coop and change food/ water, just in case it was some form of transmissible illness. But don't worry too much. In my experience, chicken s just die once in a while and you don't always know why.

My girl was on the nest, an hour later dead on the nest. It was so quick. Happy and gone. It does happen she was a new layer less than a year old. I would clean food dishes and coop just to be safe, but it was something inside her. I am sorry about your girl.

For your peace of mind, you can have your vet or state lab do a necropsy. That way you’ll know for sure and will know if there’s a plan of action you should take.

Back
Top Bottom