Unexpected Free Range day for the chickens....

Oliver Douglas

Songster
Mar 25, 2015
Well, the eight week-old roo and three hens spent the day in the chicken tractor. Toward the evening, I figured when I opened the door to the tractor, these little geniuses would go into the welcoming open door of the coop....well, not really. I honestly believe they must have watched "Chicken Run", because the little roo took control and they wandered around the yard, ignoring my pleas to enter the coop. Thought they were in Disneyland or something. I just sat down on the grass watching their antics, after that, did some figuring, and put their water and feed in the coop where they could see it. In short order, two of the hens, Alice and Pocky, as well as the roo, Roque, entered the coop. I shut the door after them. Well, little Pojo, who found herself alone, went ballistic, kept running around the coop trying to join her brethren. I figured if I opened the door for her, the other three might fly the coop, and off we would go again, so I threw a treat (oats) into the upstairs level, and the three cooperated, heading upstairs. I then opened the coop door, and Pojo followed suit. Finally outsmarted a chicken. Should run for public office. Had a beer after that.
big_smile.png

Tee hee Oliver Douglas I loved your story!

These feathered friends of ours sure know how to keep us on our toes.

It still amazes me how they can find their way into any place but when they get stuck, have no idea how to get out!

On top of that, it began to rain...their first experience. Stood out in the rain! Madder than a wet hen....not! Didn't phase them...but when the sprinklers go on over the fence, they freak out. Well, at least they are clean, now. And at eight weeks, they are starting to cluck a little, not so much peeping. And the little rooster is making some weird sounds, not quite a crow, but more like gargling with Listerine...hope the neighbors don't think I'm strangling the little feller...though it has crossed my mind a couple of times when he pecked me...
wink.png

I guess it means we are chicken folks. I like chickens better than I do chihuahuas, though at times they share many of the same characteristics...noisy, bossy, think they are bigger than they are. Guess I let them watch Jurassic Park one time too many times...they haven't figured out that people are T-Rexes....you know how THAT ended for them.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom