Unexpected kidding - help please! With PICS!

For now I would feed her every 2 hours. Just like a newborn child. In a couple days you can take it to 4 times a day.

Unfortunately I have heard a couple judges saying they don't worry about the disease. "Its not that bad"

Last edited:
I agree. I am getting all 5 of mine tested next month for Johnes, CAE, and CL. My first kids should be in March so I will have tests back in plenty of time. I do have to say though, out of the three I would rather have CAE.

By the way she is a cutie.

If you don't feel up to pasteurizing I would go to tsc or rural king in the a.m. and get some powdered colostrum and maybe an electrolyte paste.

Quote:
I agree that if you HAVE to have one of those CAE would be preferable, since it's usually only passed in the colostrum/milk.

She just ate almost a cup of colostrum.
wee.gif
She's still looking for the bottle and running all over the bathroom trying to nurse from the cabinets.
lau.gif
She's not getting any more right now or I won't have enough to get her through a couple more feedings until I can get to the feed store in the morning.

I wouldn't mind pasteurizing the colostrum, but I don't really trust myself to be able to do it right.
lol.png
I would either burn it or not get it hot enough.
roll.png
I raised a bottle baby buck on milk replacer last spring and he did fine, so I'll just grab that in the morning. Or maybe the other doe will hurry things along and I won't have to worry about it.
fl.gif

Just a quick update! She made it through the night and is doing GREAT! She's sucking down whatever I offer her in the bottle and trying to "pump" my arm for more milk.
lau.gif

I'm out of the frozen colostrum I had and the feed stores around here only carry multi-species colostrum, not goat-specific colostrum. Is it best to give that a go or just go ahead and put her on the goat milk replacer?

During the first 24 hours is when they absorb most of the anti bodies they recieve from the colostrum. It is always a good idea to give the colostrum a go from the feed store, but it not entirely necessary.

She should be just fine if you just go right to milk replacer.

I think that colostrum would be better then no colostrum. If your out in the freezer it would be good to have on hand anyways since you have other kids coming. I would still get the re-placer though because you don't need to give colostrum but for a few days. Then start feeding the re-placer if you still don't have milk from the other goat.

Back
Top Bottom