Unexpected "late" arrival

E-quail-izer

Chirping
May 15, 2020
I had almost all of my quail chicks hatch on day 17 and 18. A couple of eggs didn't hatch but I left them in the incubator assuming they may hatch a bit later. Nothing on day 19 and suddenly on Day 20 one additional baby makes an appearance. I am wondering if I should leave the rest a bit longer, maybe till day 21?

The later they hatch the weaker they are. Survival chances are rapidly decreasing.

On end of day 20 I listen to the eggs not hatched and if there are any noises, I carefully crack open the shell with the backside of a match along of the air chamber of the egg and help hatching.
Unfortunately these just have a suvival chance of 20-30%, but I think they deserve a chance.

Last hatch I had three of them, only one survived till now, and they will be always the little once, bumbed and tossed by the bigger once.
20200520_110333.jpg

Here is he, such a sweet little boy, I called him "Micro" .... totally tame, as he experienced other quails as rough and my hand as warm savior. He still is a bit wobbling while walking.

Just be aware, that they might not make it. It is deveastating as you spend most time and attention to these tiny lateties.

The later they hatch the weaker they are. Survival chances are rapidly decreasing.

On end of day 20 I listen to the eggs not hatched and if there are any noises, I carefully crack open the shell with the backside of a match along of the air chamber of the egg and help hatching.
Unfortunately these just have a suvival chance of 20-30%, but I think they deserve a chance.

Last hatch I had three of them, only one survived till now, and they will be always the little once, bumbed and tossed by the bigger once.
View attachment 2149723
Here is he, such a sweet little boy, I called him "Micro" .... totally tame, as he experienced other quails as rough and my hand as warm savior. He still is a bit wobbling while walking.

Just be aware, that they might not make it. It is deveastating as you spend most time and attention to these tiny lateties.

He's adorable 😍

20200520_110333.jpg

the last time i hatched eggs i got a small quail and she was the first to hatch. the third to hatch was the biggest and almost twice the size of the first.

View attachment 2149723

Most devastating moment, since I am raising quails 😔

I had to cull Micro this morning.

He was now over 4 weeks old, just half size of the others, but brave, curious and happy ... roaming around with the big onces.
As most quails of this hatch are already at my farming lot of my breeders club, I kept him, along with a few other quails, which I want to integrate to my balkony flock with week 6, in the brooder cage here at home.

This early morning I woke up at 4:30h, walking to the kitchen, getting something to drink. Passing the brooder, drowsy, I spooked the birds and the big onces were boinking heavily and hit him hard.
After soothe all, I relized he could not stand anymore. Examination of him showed, that one leg was dislocated at the hip. Tries to correct the dislocation, failed and caused him much pain, so I decided very fast to spare him these pains.

Next hard thing to do, is to tell it my daughter this evening. She was so caring with him every time she was here (she is living with her brothers at her mother, most weekends here at my place).

Could have a brandy now... But I gotta work soon.

Most devastating moment, since I am raising quails 😔

I had to cull Micro this morning.

He was now over 4 weeks old, just half size of the others, but brave, curious and happy ... roaming around with the big onces.
As most quails of this hatch are already at my farming lot of my breeders club, I kept him, along with a few other quails, which I want to integrate to my balkony flock with week 6, in the brooder cage here at home.

This early morning I woke up at 4:30h, walking to the kitchen, getting something to drink. Passing the brooder, drowsy, I spooked the birds and the big onces were boinking heavily and hit him hard.
After soothe all, I relized he could not stand anymore. Examination of him showed, that one leg was dislocated at the hip. Tries to correct the dislocation, failed and caused him much pain, so I decided very fast to spare him these pains.

Next hard thing to do, is to tell it my daughter this evening. She was so caring with him every time she was here (she is living with her brothers at her mother, most weekends here at my place).

Could have a brandy now... But I gotta work soon.
so sorry. :hugs I can't imagine having to cull a chick. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom