Unexpected visitor to the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by goddinfla, Jan 14, 2008.

1. goddinfla

goddinfla Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Saturday afternoon I found this strange visitor in the peacock pen.

[​IMG]

She's about 3 feet long and beautiful. Very friendly, don't know if that's from being a little cold or from being handled before.

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    It almost looks too healthy not to be someone's escaped pet.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I read in the news a week or two ago that in florida, it was so cold the iquanas were dropping out of the trees - they were too cold to hang on and just fell out of the tree....

We found our neighbors iguana in our yard one time. If you aren't in Florida, then it must have escaped from someone's house.

That's a really nice looking lizard!

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] wouldn't that be a surprise......whatcha gonna do with it ?

5. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    In Guatamala they call those gallinas de palo, or tree chickens, and they eat them. We have them in Puerto Rico but to us they are more like pests than food.

6. goddinfla

Mar 7, 2007
    Yes, I'm in Florida. Just South of Tampa.

She seems very healthy, her tail complete all the way to the end and she is fat and has no scars. She was either a pet or very lucky in the wild. She was a little listless because of being cold so she's inside now with a heater and food and water. Haven't seen her eat yet. Hopefully when she warms up so will her appetite.

7. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Her being easy to handle was because of the cold. that doesn't mean it wont be when its warm, I would wear work gloves, once it gets warmed up just in case.

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Could someone possibly have dumped her?? Would she have been able to get in your pen?

9. goddinfla

Mar 7, 2007
    As you can see behind her the plywood doesn't quite reach the ground, I assume she crawled under there.

Possible she was dumped, or could have been out for a while. It's pretty much a jungle around my place. Lots of trees, few people.

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

She's very healthy! You could probably get a pretty penny for her if you can't find her owner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by