Unexpectedly came home with 2 newbies!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lswatson111304, Oct 22, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    So we have some baby chickies in the brooder. We started today to make their coop. We got it 90% finished and had to run to town. On the way there I somehow convinced my husband to stop buy the guys place the we bought the babies from. I asked if he had any hens that are laying, or are getting close to. He had a few. These 2 I fell in love with their coloring. They are totally mixed, so not sure if that makes it harder to know anything about them.
    I am new to chickens, don't know much about these, but just want to make sure they are girls! LOL I sure hope so. I have no idea their age, just that he says they are close to laying, and I think he said that one of them from the same "batch" had already started? Not 100% if he was talking about these specific ones, I was just so excited to be back there around all his birds, and babies and yeah...I'm silly. I know.
    So pretty much if you can tell me anything about them, let me have it!
    Oh, and please excuse the coop, its still not finished, and I need to pick them up some pine shavings. I ran out when cleaning the brooder. I tossed a pillow in there in case they wanted somewhere soft to rest.
    [​IMG]

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Yes, they're females.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    They are pretty little hens! Are they bantams? The one on the right looks like she is at least part Old English Game (but I am no expert). I am thinking you may still have a bit of a wait before they lay.
    Chickens are so addicting aren't they?

4. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    YAY! Thanks!
    Mind if I ask how you tell? They had another one in with them with a larger comb, and wattles and I was nervous it was a boy, but like I said, I know nothing about this kind of stuff! I'm a newbie myself!

5. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    They are small, so I was thinking they are bantams, but he doesn't give any ideas because he has such a mix himself. He did say that he gets a lot of his chicks from a local farmer with a bunch of bantams that frequently go off into the woods and they think they are gone for good, and come home with 6 babies, so he gets the guys overstock I guess. LOL

6. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    Comb and wattle small and pink, no hackle feathers and body shape. Hens get red combs at point of lay; roos get red much earlier. Roos develop long, pointy feathers on their neck and the tale feathers are longer and usually droop downward. Looking at them side by side with a female, males legs are usually thicker. The other one you talked about sounds like a boy for sure.

7. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    Old English Game hens do get broody and that is a good breed for raising their own babies though certainly not the only breed. What kind of babies do you have?

8. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I have 4 mixed babies from this same guy, and then 2 silkie babies.

9. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Quote:Thank you, I'm glad I didn't choose the other one, My husband wanted to. I did pick one with feathered feet, and one without so I could tell them apart! LOL

10. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    If the scale in the picture isn't deceiving they are bantam in size regardless of their genetics. You probably won't get full-sized eggs from these ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by