Unexpectedly came home with 2 newbies!

lswatson111304

Songster
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
Milano, TX
So we have some baby chickies in the brooder. We started today to make their coop. We got it 90% finished and had to run to town. On the way there I somehow convinced my husband to stop buy the guys place the we bought the babies from. I asked if he had any hens that are laying, or are getting close to. He had a few. These 2 I fell in love with their coloring. They are totally mixed, so not sure if that makes it harder to know anything about them.
I am new to chickens, don't know much about these, but just want to make sure they are girls! LOL I sure hope so. I have no idea their age, just that he says they are close to laying, and I think he said that one of them from the same "batch" had already started? Not 100% if he was talking about these specific ones, I was just so excited to be back there around all his birds, and babies and yeah...I'm silly. I know.
So pretty much if you can tell me anything about them, let me have it!
Oh, and please excuse the coop, its still not finished, and I need to pick them up some pine shavings. I ran out when cleaning the brooder. I tossed a pillow in there in case they wanted somewhere soft to rest.
41471_dsc01201_edited-1.jpg

They are pretty little hens! Are they bantams? The one on the right looks like she is at least part Old English Game (but I am no expert). I am thinking you may still have a bit of a wait before they lay.
Chickens are so addicting aren't they?

YAY! Thanks!
Mind if I ask how you tell? They had another one in with them with a larger comb, and wattles and I was nervous it was a boy, but like I said, I know nothing about this kind of stuff! I'm a newbie myself!

They are small, so I was thinking they are bantams, but he doesn't give any ideas because he has such a mix himself. He did say that he gets a lot of his chicks from a local farmer with a bunch of bantams that frequently go off into the woods and they think they are gone for good, and come home with 6 babies, so he gets the guys overstock I guess. LOL

Comb and wattle small and pink, no hackle feathers and body shape. Hens get red combs at point of lay; roos get red much earlier. Roos develop long, pointy feathers on their neck and the tale feathers are longer and usually droop downward. Looking at them side by side with a female, males legs are usually thicker. The other one you talked about sounds like a boy for sure.

Old English Game hens do get broody and that is a good breed for raising their own babies though certainly not the only breed. What kind of babies do you have?

Quote:
Thank you, I'm glad I didn't choose the other one, My husband wanted to. I did pick one with feathered feet, and one without so I could tell them apart! LOL

If the scale in the picture isn't deceiving they are bantam in size regardless of their genetics. You probably won't get full-sized eggs from these ladies.

Back
Top Bottom