Unfinished absorbing yolk

Legomenchi

Chirping
May 4, 2022
At the beginning of hatching, there was a bit of blood inside and it was really weak. When it came out, the umbilical cord was still bleeding and the whole navel was puffed up and there was gunk everywhere. I stopped the bleeding and let it rest in the incubator. Internet said it was a hernia and that I shouldn't expect it to live. After a night (this morning) it finally opened it's eyes and it's moving and interacting and the swelling is almost completely gone

Attachments

• PXL_20220503_140918317~2.jpg
    PXL_20220503_140918317~2.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 31
At the beginning of hatching, there was a bit of blood inside and it was really weak. When it came out, the umbilical cord was still bleeding and the whole navel was puffed up and there was gunk everywhere. I stopped the bleeding and let it rest in the incubator. Internet said it was a hernia and that I shouldn't expect it to live. After a night (this morning) it finally opened it's eyes and it's moving and interacting and the swelling is almost completely gone
did you assist this hatch? That's a lot of yolk left, not swelling. Please read the assisted hatching article before assisting a hatch again- if they're yawning or chewing they're still absorbing. Ducklings are *very* slow hatchers and it can take days. They can survive, but should be put in a little cup cushioned with dry paper towels and left in the incubator to finish absorbing. She was premature. Glad she made it, though.

Please read the assisted hatching article before assisting a hatch again
That would be this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Internet said it was a hernia and that I shouldn't expect it to live. After a night (this morning) it finally opened it's eyes and it's moving and interacting and the swelling is almost completely gone
Internet was probably wrong. More likely the yolk sac needed to finish absorbing.

Whether it will live, I cannot say. It might finish absorbing the yolk and be fine, or it might have some kind of problem or get an infection.

It was supposed to fully absorb the yolk before it hatched. They usually pip before they are done absorbing it, but then sit there and finish absorbing before they finish hatching. Sometimes they get impatient and hatch too early, and sometimes a person gets worried and "helps" too soon. No matter what the cause was, it does look better in the second photo, so hopefully it will finish absorbing and live a normal life!

That would be this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Internet was probably wrong. More likely the yolk sac needed to finish absorbing.

Whether it will live, I cannot say. It might finish absorbing the yolk and be fine, or it might have some kind of problem or get an infection.

It was supposed to fully absorb the yolk before it hatched. They usually pip before they are done absorbing it, but then sit there and finish absorbing before they finish hatching. Sometimes they get impatient and hatch too early, and sometimes a person gets worried and "helps" too soon. No matter what the cause was, it does look better in the second photo, so hopefully it will finish absorbing and live a normal life!
Thanks for the article! It is looking really good, I keep it clean and it wants to eat and drink so it's building strength.

did you assist this hatch? That's a lot of yolk left, not swelling. Please read the assisted hatching article before assisting a hatch again- if they're yawning or chewing they're still absorbing. Ducklings are *very* slow hatchers and it can take days. They can survive, but should be put in a little cup cushioned with dry paper towels and left in the incubator to finish absorbing. She was premature. Glad she made it, though.
I read the article, it helped a lot, thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks for the article! It is looking really good, I keep it clean and it wants to eat and drink so it's building strength.
I think she'll probably be okay, infection is likely the worst danger but if everything is kept clean her naval should close within a day or two! Update us if there's any change/once it's all closed up. Hopefully she makes it!

Back
Top Bottom