Unfriendly Silkie Chick????

TajMaChicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Hernando, MS
We got six new chicks this year. I was checking TSC everyday waiting for the bantams to come in. Finally they did! I got a Buff Silkie, a Silver Sebright, a Cochin, and the friendliest tiny what I believe is a WHite Japanese bantam, and I also got a NH Red and a Tetra Tint. I have handled them daily. The Tetra and the White Japanese will hop right on my hand. The Sebight and Cochin come up and peck at my fingers. The red is a little stand offish but not bad. My buff silkie chick on the other hand just stands on the opposite side of the brooder and just stares at me. They are only a little over three weeks old. This is my first Silkie so I am not very familiar with them. (actually all these breeds are new to me) but does anyone have any insight on this behavior from what I thought would be the friendliest chick ever? Thanks!

I have found that at around 3 weeks of life, all my chicks are about as unfriendly as can be- they are skittish and jumpy.

They settle down eventually, especially if they get held frequently. They really turn friendly when they start laying.

Silkies are really different chickens. I have had hatchery silkies that weren't too docile- now I have some that I hatched from eggs from breeders and they are docile. But one wasn't (a roo) and I sold him.

Also chickens have personalities just like people. The variations are amazing. There is really no telling if you will end up with a silkie that likes to be held or not IMO.

It does help to just keep holding them as usual daily.

Back
Top Bottom