unhappy coop

So the run is 13 x 16, which is great for 4 birds....
....but how big is the coop(hen house) where they sleep at night?
Pics of your setup might help.

The hen house where they sleep is 5 x 5 with two roosts in it. However, myra won't let the younger ones roost. They sleep on the floor. Last night I left myra and other chick (baby is her name) in the hen house and the RIRS slept on top of a barrel that holds their feed in the run area. I didn't force them to go into the hen house.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

YES!! Huge kudos for that!

The hen house where they sleep is 5 x 5 with two roosts in it. However, myra won't let the younger ones roost. They sleep on the floor. Last night I left myra and other chick (baby is her name) in the hen house and the RIRS slept on top of a barrel that holds their feed in the run area. I didn't force them to go into the hen house.
That's tight space.
Moving the bully to an adjacent space for a time out might help.

Back
Top Bottom