Unincorporated Jefferson County, CO

Do u know if they give u the permit right then when u go to the courthouse, or do u have to wait for it to be approved? I heard that they notify your neighbors and HOA when u apply. Do u know if that's true?

Details are fuzzy - they did say they will notify neighbors and run check for animal abuse complaints. They don't notify the Hoa, but the neighbors might...

Hi Danicadream,

I have been following your posts and was excited to hear the unicorp Jeffco laws finally got changed! Congrats! I live in unincorporated Arapahoe county and the current laws do not allow us to have chickens. I am curious to know what steps you took to get the laws changed? Any other advice you can provide us would be great!

Thanks!

We don't have the permit yet- The application seems like a real bear and hubby hasn't had time to do the drawings it says you have to submit.

BUT... we did go ahead and get the chicks, since they'll be living in a brooder in the garage for several more weeks. We have a salmon faverolle, a black australorp, a speckled sussex, and a gold laced wyandotte. They're so cute!!

I am very interested in working on this. You can call me if you like and we can figure out something. Darcie in unincorporated Golden 303 885 1490 [email protected] (calling is better, I'm really busy lately and might miss an email in my hundreds of emails arriving daily.)

I am very interested in working on this. You can call me if you like and we can figure out something. Darcie in unincorporated Golden 303 885 1490 [email protected] (calling is better, I'm really busy lately and might miss an email in my hundreds of emails arriving daily.)

Glad progress is being made. Not sure if you all know, but we have a very active Colorado Thread and there are lots of great folks on it who might be of assistance. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado/14690#post_11074949

Also, think about joining us at ChickenFest 2013. Click the link in my signature.

Darcie, no need to work on this... you can have chickens! You just have to apply for a permit with the county.

W Smith, thanks so much for the info. Going to check it out now.

Danica

great news - I'm currently planning on moving from Highlands Ranch to unincorportated Jeffco bringing the 4 ladies we already have,

the realtor selling the house tells me that chickens are not allowed, but hopefully she's uninformed.

can anyone point me to the specific page on the Jeffco website that tells you where/how to get a permit and the rules? I can't find that anywhere, and I don't want to move without the chickens!

Last edited:
It is easiest to call the planning and zoning department - give them the address and they can tell you for sure

Back
Top Bottom