Uninsulated coop in northern areas

I wished we had put the chicken door on the other side of the coop so it wouldn’t get the winter wind but it wasn’t something I thought of in July. I was mostly thinking about watching the chicken parade from my kitchen window when my daughter lets them out in the morning. I will try to figure out how we can block the wind with some sort of baffle this winter.
We are hoping to make some adjustments this weekend. I am going to add plywood inside the coop on the wall to block the draft. We will also rearrange the roosting bars because they are too close I think and I want to add a poop board under them. I am also going to block the roof a bit because I didn’t realize the chickens would roost that high and it is just becoming too messy.
Hopefully this picture will show you all what I am working with a bit.

Attachments

• 4FC70A3E-2B26-4AD9-A302-B44313921EA1.jpeg
    4FC70A3E-2B26-4AD9-A302-B44313921EA1.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 9
I have sand in my coop, and while my chooks seem pretty good, their water keeps freezing so may have to go the heated waterer/base route. Not a fan of electrics in the coop but at least sand reduces hazard risk vs. pine or paper shreddings or straw. Southern NH is also getting rather brisk right now, much earlier than normal.

Last edited:
Mine are slowly discovering the roosting bars, having moved them to a bigger coop, but some roost on top of the boxes, better than in the boxes at least. I did physically put a few on, that seemed to help the others learn.
If you want to stop them roosting on top of the boxes put a slanted board over them. I made the roof of the nest boxes slant and attached it to the wall with hinges so I can get inside from the top if needed.
20190929_164502.jpg

I am also going to block the roof a bit because I didn’t realize the chickens would roost that high and it is just becoming too messy.
They always go for the highest roost they can physically reach. Getting down can be the bigger problem. If they don't have sufficient room they can face plant on the way down. I think the formula is for every 1 foot of roost height the nearest wall needs to be 1 foot away. If I have that wrong I hope someone corrects me.
When you cover the roof don't totally enclose it. Leave open space around the perimeter for access to the ventilation area above.

If you want to stop them roosting on top of the boxes put a slanted board over them. I made the roof of the nest boxes slant and attached it to the wall with hinges so I can get inside from the top if needed.
View attachment 1958797
My boxes are not actually attached to the coop at all, rather they are moveable. I may try jury-rigging a slanted apparatus though, that's a good idea. They are gradually all moving to the bar, only one or two of my BJGs and one ISA are holding out. It boggles my mind my how many chickens will try to pile onto a tiny patch of real estate.

We partially covered the ceiling so they can’t roost in the rafters anymore. We also covered the back wall with plywood inside to stop the draft on windy nights and we changed up the roosting bars but I can’t figure out how to set up the poop board because of the location of the nesting boxes. My daughter had a good idea of turning the nesting boxes(we use milk crates) at night. We leave just one facing so it’s open just in case they need it before I get out in the morning. Atleast I only have to clean one instead of four I don’t have power to the coop so for now I take their water in at night and bring out fresh clean water in the morning. On days below 15 degrees I go out a couple of times during the day and make sure it is not frozen. I feeling a bit more at ease now. Winter seemed to come fast and furious and I totally freaked

We partially covered the ceiling so they can’t roost in the rafters anymore. We also covered the back wall with plywood inside to stop the draft on windy nights and we changed up the roosting bars but I can’t figure out how to set up the poop board because of the location of the nesting boxes. My daughter had a good idea of turning the nesting boxes(we use milk crates) at night. We leave just one facing so it’s open just in case they need it before I get out in the morning. Atleast I only have to clean one instead of four I don’t have power to the coop so for now I take their water in at night and bring out fresh clean water in the morning. On days below 15 degrees I go out a couple of times during the day and make sure it is not frozen. I feeling a bit more at ease now. Winter seemed to come fast and furious and I totally freaked
Well done!:clap
I think I like your daughter's idea. I say "think" only because I can't quite picture it but the concept is very good.
So my picture in my head is milk crates below the roost with a board covering the top of the crate and pdz on the board. My minds picture doesn't understand the part you said about turning them at night.:idunnoMaybe a photo of nest area and one of that in relationship to the roost?

Back
Top Bottom