Unique Symptoms! Please Help!

Ch1cken_Girl

Hatching
Dec 17, 2018
hi. So I have a little buff bantam hen who is probably about 4 or 5 years old. We noticed today that she is acting weird. She is breathing fast and heavy but her mouth is closed. She keeps her eyes shut, seems off balance. She didn’t make a sound at all when I picked her up when usually she would put up a fight and run. She has been on the lighter side since the summer as she was refusing to leave the coop to sit on her egg. She ate a bit when we put food near her. No sounds when she is breathing. Haven’t noticed any weird poo but I was holding her and I picked her up and noticed a few milky drops left behind

Any clues???

Hi ch1cken_girl :frow
Sorry to hear your girl is not doing so good.
When you say milky drops...is that like egg white?
You said she was sitting on her egg, what's the story there now?
Can you say what she is fed? Have you crop function?
If you could get some nutrients into her I think it would be a good idea -nutri drench?

Photos of the bird and photos of the poop could help.

Hi ch1cken_girl :frow
Sorry to hear your girl is not doing so good.
When you say milky drops...is that like egg white?
You said she was sitting on her egg, what's the story there now?
Can you say what she is fed? Have you crop function?
If you could get some nutrients into her I think it would be a good idea -nutri drench?

Photos of the bird and photos of the poop could help.

Im not sure, i think it might be egg white. She made it through the night and it seems like she is doing a bit better, shes not squinting anymore. She eventually hatched her egg this summer and then went back to normal (with some lost toes). we just fed her normal chicken feed and to put cranberry in her water. Im not sure how to check her crop function.

Im not sure, i think it might be egg white. She made it through the night and it seems like she is doing a bit better, shes not squinting anymore. She eventually hatched her egg this summer and then went back to normal (with some lost toes). we just fed her normal chicken feed and to put cranberry in her water. Im not sure how to check her crop function.

Did you manage to see what her poop is like?
To check her crop (located on the right side of her chest at the base of her neck), feel it right before she settles for the night, she should have food in it so it shouldn't be too difficult to find. Then by morning, before she eats or drinks anything, it should be completely empty. If it is not, there is a problem. That can be worked on if is the case.
If that is egg white from her vent, it is probable she has a reproductive issue. As you say she is quite old, and this is quite common unfortunately. Try have a feel of her 'belly' - best done by cupping your hand underneath her between her legs and back towards her vent. If it is swollen/feels like a balloon/solid this could also point towards reproductive disorder.
What is her stance like?
A few photos would be really helpful.
Breathing fast and heavy could be a symptom of a variety of things, including crop issues and reproductive disorders.

Back
Top Bottom