unknown breed hatched from grocery eggs

Quote:
Eggs don't hatch when left on a counter -- they have to be kept very warm. I think he was pulling your leg and these came from a farm store or something.

Quote:
um... no. to hatch eggs need a constant 100degree day and night temps, and correct humidity. my guess is he got them from a feed store.

he might be pulling my leg LOL but it's quite hot here even though it's canada. My chicks been surviving without a bulb because the garage is hot

I'd guess the "yellow" egg was what would be called tan or light brown on here, and could well be from a production red, a hatchery creation, I believe usually a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red crossed with other things, likely Leghorn in there somewhere. I would guess the yellow chick will be a Leghorn and the tannish one a production red. I agree, it's highly unlikely you will get a meat bird as they are processed before being old enough to lay.

You should get good layers, anyway, if you get females!

Looks like 2 different breeds. The darker one kinda looks like my baby chick rhode island red. IMO....... very interesting
jumpy.gif
congrats for the miracle.

There are ways for fertile eggs to wind up at a grocery store, even if you ignore the free range chickens.

Most eggs at the store are from flocks of pure hens. The commercial operations are not going to feed roosters when they don't need to. That cuts into the profit margin.

But not all egg production is for grocery eggs. Some places sell hatching eggs to hatcheries or to places that raise broilers or laying chickens. They have contracts to supply a certain number of eggs. Where do you think the excess hatching eggs go, the ones that they don't have a contract for? Do you think they are just going to throw them away? This is going to be a minute portion of the eggs available at the store, but they are there.

But those probably came from a "natural foods" store or a "natural foods" section at a grocery. The odds of getting fertile eggs at random from a major grocery is not worth considering, let alone incubating. There is at least one thread on here where people hatch eggs fromTrader Joe's.

Odds are those are from a breed of good egg layers. Since the eggs were "yellow" instead of white, I'd guess they are probably not leghorns, though some leghorm may be in the mix. Since the chicks appear to have different colors of down, and considering the colors, I'd suspect the parents are mixes which suggests red sex link parents. But it is also possible that these could be red sex links. This is only a guess and I'd lean more toward their parents being red sex links, which means they are not.

Only one thing is certain about them and that is that I am not certain.

I looked into the brown fertile eggs from Chino Valley Ranchers my local health food store sells. They were very helpful and said they use Red Sex Links-usually ISA Browns and have white roos--usually Leghorn types over them so that they can see who are roos and who are hen at a glance and the roos are light weight so they don't beat up the girls as much. So that's my guess lacking other information RSL female, Leghorn type male.

The light yellow one looks just like mine - White Rocks. They are good for meat and laying (dual purpose)... I do think the darker one is a mix of some sort.... Here's a pic of one of my chicks napping... It just dropped, stretched out, and went to sleep
th.gif
! LOL!! See how it looks like your lighter one??

101396_resized_-_just_napping.jpg

SOOO if you were to get eggs that are "free range" and at the grocery store how could you tell. I mean would it look weird for me to go into the store and candle them
smile.png
I can see it now:

" mam what are you doing"
"looking for chickens"
"..................."
"
smile.png
"

Not a Cornish cross as said before - Eggs you get the from the store are strictly from production laying types.

You most likely got a mixed assortment of what Sexlink x Sexlink creates, as Sexlinks are the most common commercial layer out there.

Back
Top Bottom