1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unknown Breed or X re The Curious Case of NWA

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ErniesFlock, Sep 26, 2014.

1. ErniesFlock

ErniesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

This is NWA. We bought her as a 3 month old PBR pullet. Thats what he said well I actually said "wow man is that a young Plymouth Barred Rock pullet?" and He said "Wow son look at the brain on this guy, he really knows his stuff" .... yeah :-|

[​IMG]

A few days later she started laying eggs and she really hasnt grown ever since. She lays a pinkish small to med egg. She got white legs. She has all 10 toes 5 on each. She is fertile as hell. We have gone from PBR to Bantam PBR to IDK to maybe Cuckoo Marans to maybe just Cuckoo. She is a weird weird bird. She is NWA becasue she has No Wattles At all.

We appreciate any help :) When I saw the picture of the week I thought its time to to give up and ask some pros for guidance on byc.com!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    She definitely looks like a Cuckoo Marans. If you're correct about the 5 toes on each foot I'm at a loss to explain it other than it's a genetic anomaly, perhaps caused by traces of some five toed breed somewhere in her background.

3. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    Technically, breeds like her should only have 4 toes. There are only 5 or 6 breeds that should have 5 toes. Did you count correctly? Because otherwise she is a mutt. From what we can see, I only see 4 toes.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  4. ErniesFlock

@PoultryQueen101 I guess I should have inserted a winky lol I absolutely know thats wrong :) I wonder from what cross she may have come. She is an outstanding layer and makes me Blue Sexlinks that are so healthy she has almost 100% hatch rate. Just didnt know what she was or come from. I needed the confirmation of Cuckoo :) Thank you!

Anyone else?

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

For clarity? The proper way to say a Barred Plymouth Rock is precisely in that order. Saying Plymouth Barred Rock and using PBR is not a way to reference a chicken, but an old time beer that fell into unpopularity, although is making something of a comeback.

She's not a Plymouth Rock.

6. ErniesFlock

Now that you point it out that way I see that your right. I always try and make it a point to say Plymouth and Rock rather than Barred Rock However I guess that is correct. It hits me the same way when people say pitty or pitbull when the breed is actually American Pitbull Terrier. I am new after all Mr Moderator thanks for the lesson. However I have known for some time she isnt a Plymouth Barred Rock, but since my new found love for breeding and genetics and learning them not to mention the fact I want to know what my chicken is packing. I found it a little condesending asking me if I was sure she had 5 toes lol Yes I am sure she is my chicken. Still mystery how she acquired them. She came from a farm that had many Marans, Araucana, Silkies, White Rocks and Barred Rocks. There wasnt an abundance of 'mutts' if any at all. If I understand correctly that what defines a mutt or Easter Egger Olive Egger etc is in the beholder I am reading about how many crosses it takes to correct a flaw or introduce genetics and so on... isnt it correct to say that most breeds we havetoday sprung from a not so pure mixat least other than its own breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by