Unknown call duck predator

PekinPal806

Chirping
Mar 27, 2020
I let the ducks out to free range this morning and at about noon I went out to check on them and noticed one of my hens was missing, I figured she had gone off to the tall grass and trees just outside of our yard to lay eggs. I eventually found her and something had killed and eaten all of her chest, most of the neck, but the head was partially still there, there were also feathers kinda spread around the body. I originally thought it was a hawk but where she was at made me think it would’ve been hard for a hawk to swoop, I found her was a very thick grassy area next to a low hanging apple tree. If anyone knows what it could be and how to prevent any more getting killed I would really appreciate it.

I let the ducks out to free range this morning and at about noon I went out to check on them and noticed one of my hens was missing, I figured she had gone off to the tall grass and trees just outside of our yard to lay eggs. I eventually found her and something had killed and eaten all of her chest, most of the neck, but the head was partially still there, there were also feathers kinda spread around the body. I originally thought it was a hawk but where she was at made me think it would’ve been hard for a hawk to swoop, I found her was a very thick grassy area next to a low hanging apple tree. If anyone knows what it could be and how to prevent any more getting killed I would really appreciate it.
oh my Lord have mercy I am so sorry for your loss. Miss Lydia is right they'll be back. Lockem up good. Maybe get a trail cam to see what is it that comes back.

It sounds like a hawk to me. They will pluck and eat the neck and chest if the bird is too heavy to easily fly with. Red-tailed hawks hunt by sitting on a tree or fence and waiting until something moves. They do not soar, circle and dive like falcons. One could have sat in that Apple tree watching and waiting.

Back
Top Bottom