Unknown death & chicken making a croaking noise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by urbanchickenopolis, Nov 8, 2011.

1. urbanchickenopolis

urbanchickenopolis New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Until yesterday I had a flock of very happy healthy chickens. Yesterday morning Betty ( a 1 year old Warren) seemed poorly. She wasn't interested in food and took herself off into a corner of the garden away from the rest. She took herself to bed last night and was OK when I closed the door last night. This morning I was shocked to find her dead in the nest box. There was no bleeding or injury, I checked her over and couldn't see anything wrong with her. She hadn't been picked on by the other birds and I don't have a case of mites or anything like that and her comb looked lovely and red - normal weight and healthy looking bird. I haven't noticed any unusual poop, and she wasn't off colour before yesterday.

Today I have noticed that Annie (also a 1 year old Warren) has been making an almost growling sound, a bit like a frog. She has been eating and drinking and has had cuddles and I have checked her over and I can't see anything wrong with her.

I have thoroughly disinfected their coop (using animal friendly disinfectant) and I have redusted it for mites and changed their straw bedding. I have also been and bought a tonic for them (in pellet form).

Has anyone come across this noise before?
    I haven't noticed it before and am starting to become concerned. (btw I didn't notice a noise from Betty).
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Welcome, urbanchickenopolis [​IMG] Unfortunately chickens sometimes pass away unexpectedly and we never know for sure why unless we have a necropsy performed. It could be due to a laying or heart problem. In that case there is no danger to the rest of your flock. Can you please give us more information on the growling noise Annie is making? Is it constant, while she is breathing in and out, or just happening once in a while?

3. urbanchickenopolis

urbanchickenopolis New Egg

Nov 8, 2011
    Hi,

Annie is making the noise when she is breathing in and out.
    I have checked her and spent time with her this morning. She has eaten, although not as enthusiastically as she would do normally, and she has drunk a little. Her vents are clear and her eyes are bright.

Many thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by