Unknown gender AND breed...Help!

Thank you. The bird in question is the same bird in both pictures. Just one!

Now, does anyone want a free rooster? he's absolutely gotta be gone very soon. :(

Or, is it considered ok to go back to the original breeder and request a swap?

Last edited:
IDK now, after researching the black sex-link hens as RoosterCrow suggested....some of those have big huge combs and metallic feathers. Sigh. This is one confusing bird.

He is a rooster for sure. That dark red on his wings makes it so. Sorry.
This. You will never see a hen with that coloring. The reddish collar, sure, but not on the wings like that. That is classic rooster color.

I think you're right, I'm not seeing easter egger there at all, just mixed breed. I'd contact your seller, I'm sure cockeral signs were apparent a few weeks ago. If that bird was sold as a pullet, they need to fix it for you.

IDK now, after researching the black sex-link hens as RoosterCrow suggested....some of those have big huge combs and metallic feathers. Sigh. This is one confusing bird.
Yours is no black sex link hen and he's not a black sex link rooster either as the roosters are not black in color as the hens are. Your rooster is more than likely an olive egger with a lot of black copper maran in him. Try researching "black copper maran roosters". This is a picture of a 13 week old olive egger cockerel:
3044655518u_2x424x360f_livestock_in_taunton_ma

Edited to add: It furthers the theory that he is an olive egger because he was sold to you as an easter egger. It would be an easy mix up.

Last edited:
I say rooster based on the large comb and wattles, upright stance and long legs, pointed hackle feathers, red on the shoulder area and the start of shiny iridescent tail feathers.

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. He does look like that photo of an Olive egger. I am off to contact the seller and hopefully not upset anyone. :)

Back
Top Bottom