Unknown Goose behavior

Sep 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have two female pilgrim geese that are four months old. Neither of them ever wanted me to hold or touch them, but I do anyways. A few days ago, Swana started biting me in the back of my leg, or yanking on my dress to get my attention. When I turn to give her attention, she walks directly up to me, so close that she is touching me. When I squat down to her level, she stares face-to-face at me, only inches away. When I reach out to pet her, she bends her neck down and lets me pet her! As soon as I stop, she begins biting my arms and hands. She will not listen to NO at all. When I put my hand on her back, she squats on the ground with her head down and lets me pet her back for an unlimited amount of time. It definitely appears the same as a chicken that is squatting to be mounted by a Roo. When I stop petting, she stands up and starts trying to bite my arms again. It isn’t that gentle either! She has also hit me with the end of her wing twice, right after the above scenario. I have been surprised to note with both of my girls, that they will come within centimeters of hitting something with those huge wings, but do not. That makes me think they know exactly where the end of their wings reach. The fact that she hit me twice with them for the first time, makes me believe it is intentional. I am very worried about these new behaviors, and the correct way to handle them. We adore these geese and I can’t bear to “ruin” them by handling this situation wrong.
A566F7DF-FFF9-48FD-A810-569B217388F4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom