Unknown hen breeds!

Green Legged Partridges are not a recognized breed. I’m thinking if the seller told you it was a breed, they just wanted to sell you a chicken, lol.
I figured that, based on no one ever talking about it. And the fact quail keeps popping up. :gig

I just got a ton of eggs for free from a friend and hatched them, and was curious on the breeds.

Everyone has different opinions, but the general rule for EEs is “A chicken of mixed heritage that carries a blue egg gene.” The “lay any color” was started by hatcheries who couldn’t promise all of their mutts would lay blue/green, as a small percentage don’t inherit the gene.
So while there are people out there calling their brown or white laying mutts EEs, they should really just call them mutts, because they don’t carry the characteristic that makes them an EE.

Especially since this bird doesn’t have muffs, a pea comb, or a crest (indicating blue layer heritage) I would decidedly not call her an EE.
Thats very interesting. I didn’t know that, thank you!

I figured that, based on no one ever talking about it. And the fact quail keeps popping up. :gig

I just got a ton of eggs for free from a friend and hatched them, and was curious on the breeds.
Well, judging on the fact Margo hatches 50 eggs at a time, and everyone else here hatches around that amount, nine is not even considered remotely a ton. But chicken math didn’t set in yet when i got those eggs!

Back
Top Bottom