Unknown hen breeds!

Pics

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
For a long time, i have been completely in the dark about my chicken Isbes breed! I was told she is a green legged partridge, but upon looking it up, i get very few images of what slightly resemble her, and mostly quail!

So, is she a green legged partridge, a mix, or something else? Does green legged partridge even exist as a true breed, or is it just rare? Thanks! (She lays cream eggs, and is a year old. Large chicken, lays large eggs!)
01543D61-1DD6-4D93-8EF6-823E7E2F7D37.jpeg

Sorry for the multiple chickens in the shot, but its night and this is all i have right now. (She is on the left)

Aswell as that, heres Rizo, what i believe is a black sex link. Only thing is, she laid much later then they are suppose to lay. And her egg color is a pinkish brown to a true brown egg, but she is consistant
177FD9CA-D5C8-45B7-B70E-65A4E2996A28.jpeg
She has black or dark grey shanks, with a pink bottom.
0F8A28D6-6BA5-4F6C-A2F1-7977701B212B.jpeg

Her feet as a chick
37D9A657-16EF-49FF-BB89-8D013DFE66CE.jpeg

Thanks!

For a long time, i have been completely in the dark about my chicken Isbes breed! I was told she is a green legged partridge, but upon looking it up, i get very few images of what slightly resemble her, and mostly quail!

So, is she a green legged partridge, a mix, or something else? Does green legged partridge even exist as a true breed, or is it just rare? Thanks! (She lays cream eggs, and is a year old. Large chicken, lays large eggs!)
View attachment 3131705
Sorry for the multiple chickens in the shot, but its night and this is all i have right now. (She is on the left)

Aswell as that, heres Rizo, what i believe is a black sex link. Only thing is, she laid much later then they are suppose to lay. And her egg color is a pinkish brown to a true brown egg, but she is consistantView attachment 3131708She has black or dark grey shanks, with a pink bottom. View attachment 3131709
Her feet as a chick View attachment 3131711

Thanks!
In the shank photo, Rizo has bumblefoot.

I vote EE then. There's no breed standard, and slate legs are common.

Or not, I could easily, easily be wrong. Though EE's can lay any color egg.
Everyone has different opinions, but the general rule for EEs is “A chicken of mixed heritage that carries a blue egg gene.” The “lay any color” was started by hatcheries who couldn’t promise all of their mutts would lay blue/green, as a small percentage don’t inherit the gene.
So while there are people out there calling their brown or white laying mutts EEs, they should really just call them mutts, because they don’t carry the characteristic that makes them an EE.

Especially since this bird doesn’t have muffs, a pea comb, or a crest (indicating blue layer heritage) I would decidedly not call her an EE.

Obviously a green legged partridge is not popular, or a breed i have ever heard of here or by anyone but one person and a few people on the internet, so i just wasn’t to sure. Though it had a more brown tone then black.
Green Legged Partridges are not a recognized breed. I’m thinking if the seller told you it was a breed, they just wanted to sell you a chicken, lol.

Thank you! That could be possible because i got these eggs from a person who had a lot of easter eggers. I ended up getting one for sure in the same hatch, aswell.

As a chick, she resembled another one that was basically identical to her. But here is what really got me thinking she was a green legged partridge.

She was identical to another chicken as a chick, except she had long mascara down to her ear, and the other one didn’t. The other one turned out to be a rooster. When i looked up green legged partridge, someone said that they can be sexed based off of eye mascara, and roosters have none, hens do!

That totally confused me!
I vote EE then. There's no breed standard, and slate legs are common.

Or not, I could easily, easily be wrong. Though EE's can lay any color egg.

Back
Top Bottom