Unknown illness:-(

chickenrookies

Chirping
Apr 14, 2016
It's been a very long time since we've logged in and we've learned a lot in the last several years but now we one our two hens, Trixie has recently developed a yellowish growth in her mouth that is getting bigger and seems to have eaten through her cheek...We first noticed it 2 weeks ago and took her to a vet. He didn't know if it was a bacterial, viral or cancerous growth. We gave him the consent to treat her. He scraped the growth from her mouth along with removing half of her tongue. She bled quite a bit. He wasn't optimistic she would make it. Because of that we decided not to have the specimen sent for analysis. He sent us home with antibiotics which we gave her to completion and she seems to be doing ok but the growth is back and slowly getting bigger. She won't eat anything but bread and we've had to hand feed her that and pureed veggies through a syringe. Has anyone seen this before and if so, know of any treatment? Thank you very much!!

Attachments

• IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0998.jpg
    IMG_0998.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 11
It looks a little like Cankers, which is an infectious disease that causes lesions to grow in the mouth. Are any of your other chickens showing symptoms?

Give her some apple cider vinegar (with the mother)! It will help boost her system and fight off the lesions in her beak! You can give her one tablespoon per gallon in her drinking water, or half a teaspoon mixed with some water and use a syringe. You can also get her some probiotics (the chick starter kind) to help boost her immune system as well to fight this off. I give it to my chickens when they are sick (especially when I’m giving them any kind of antibiotic as well). I’ve also used acidified copper sulphate before (1/4 teaspoon per gallon). I’ve used it when my flock had Coryza, but I’ve never had to deal with Cankers. However, I did deal with a bunch of nasty lesions in the mouth due to infectious Coryza. Wishing you the best of luck!

Thank you very much for the suggestions!! We weren't able to find the copper sulphate locally but found some nano silver AG+. It claims to treat canker sores so we are giving her that plus the apple cider vinegar and water..Crossing our fingers!! Thanks again!!

Sadly the growth came back aggressively and we took her to a vet again she diagnosed it as cancer. We had her euthanized last night. Thanks for the support and help!!

Back
Top Bottom