Unknown predator taking chicks at night

It is why she has additional lighting installed.
That should help unless snakes slips head under her before she knows what is up. My hens will assail a snake very well when when they can see it's eyes. The hens have a hard time staying on mission when snake hides it head. Some hens exceptional, but they must sleep.

@centrarchid
I have hopes for this one and she and baby are a test case. We will be getting a new batch of Sumatra in next month and I want my predator issue resolved as the last batch disappeared after residing in that coop for about 1 week. Around the 4 week mark she and baby if it is still with us will need re-homed to another area as I plan on not losing more, and not sweating buckets in our heat and humidity to climb around in the coop to HC over my trouble spots if not absolutely needed.

Some may consider me quite cavalier in my attitude, but chicken are death. The Silkies leave the fenced in property and end up dead or spontaneously fall over dead after getting spooked and wring their necks in 1x4 welded wire fencing.

I would go all out and get a game camera going. I have several cameras and they have proven to be quite the hoot to show what is going on. It was fun seeing how the predators were impacted by my fencing and other efforts. The cameras ultimately made so I could see who was simply probing outside the chicken area. When things get boring, then move the camera out into game trails to see who is simply walking by.

I would go all out and get a game camera going. I have several cameras and they have proven to be quite the hoot to show what is going on. It was fun seeing how the predators were impacted by my fencing and other efforts. The cameras ultimately made so I could see who was simply probing outside the chicken area. When things get boring, then move the camera out into game trails to see who is simply walking by.
For sure(trail camera), payday is just a couple days off so I get some discretionary money to play with and was shopping those today. Here are a couple of shots I just took with the enhanced security posture showing the normal security lighting and now the supplemental interior lighting plus the now closed door on the big girl Sumatra side with HC on it.
IMG_5796.JPG

I swear that hen set up nicely to be ready to face her threats. I got scratched up a bit tonight as she was on the wrong side of the enclosure with her chick when it was time to get everyone in for the night if I were one to anthropomorphize I would say she wanted to avoid her normal spot, but who knows.

IMG_5798.JPG

Well here is a brief update. I haven't looked over the hen for any injuries as 10 minutes ago I did the door opening and feeding for all of our chicken. The light either worked, or having the main door closed worked. I still have a chick under that hen. Of course I also stunk the place up with human smell so that could be the reason why too.

So I'll continue to monitor and report back if there are changes. Still will feel better with a camera in there and after adding HC to those small gaps that could/can allow snakes/rats/possum in.

I think it’s time for a game camera to be installed.
I agree. Since the losses appear to be at night, when you get a camera get a decent one. All take good daytime pictures but not all take good nighttime pictures. I have 7 cameras identical to this one and they take great night pictures. I do use my cameras in the video mode. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.amazon.com/1963-Game-in...5&sr=1-1-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc
Here is a picture from a camera identical to this one.
DSCF0001tues 03.jpg

This picture was taken with another camera from the exact same spot.
DSCF0002921 02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom