Unknown Predator.

I feel like I am going nuts reading this thread.

As soon as we figure out how this raccoon is getting in, we will eliminate the raccoon, then fix it.

Didn't you point out ~1ft hole raccoon buffet access point in her (friend's) run fencing, literally right next to the pile of feathers remaining of the prior night's raccoon feast Tuesday, saying the rest of the run/coop appeared secure? I know this would be her decision and not yours, but was that not fixed? This was asked earlier without response. Someone also asked if she was closing the coop at night, but the question went unanswered.

Is this an accurate timeline so far:
  • Friend lost 10 chickens and, despite that evidence, believed predators had no access to the coop - access for raccoon exists somewhere, open coop, open run, or both
  • Friend asked you for help
  • You pointed out a giant hole in her run, taking pictures that also look like they show a giant hole in the side of the coop
  • Friend did not fix the issues identified (?), but had you put out a game cam so she could see, surprise, Ricky enjoying another free chicken dinner
  • Friend still did not fix the issues (?), but decided asking you to camp out to try to shoot the raccoon at night made more sense; you got bored and left at 11:30 and friend lost another bird (not blaming you; it was a dumb idea for prevention in the first place, if the issues hadn't been fixed)
If the originally identified access problems haven't already been fixed, then this raccoon is running circles around your friend, intellectually.

Didn't you point out ~1ft hole raccoon buffet access point in her (friend's) run fencing, literally right next to the pile of feathers remaining of the prior night's raccoon feast Tuesday, saying the rest of the run/coop appeared secure? I know this would be her decision and not yours, but was that not fixed? This was asked earlier without response. Someone also asked if she was closing the coop at night, but the question went unanswered.

• Friend lost 10 chickens and, despite that evidence, believed predators had no access to the coop
  • You pointed out a giant hole in her run, taking pictures that also look like they show a giant hole in the side of the coop
  • Friend did not fix the issues identified (?), but had you put out a game cam so she could see, surprise, Ricky enjoying another free chicken dinner
  • Friend still did not fix the issues (?), but decided asking you to camp out to try to shoot the raccoon at night made more sense; you got bored and left at 11:30 and friend lost another bird (not blaming you; it was a dumb idea for prevention in the first place, if the issues hadn't been fixed)
This raccoon is running circles around your friend, intellectually. Helping her fix the access problems will be more effective for preventing more chicken deaths compared to sitting out hoping to pop the raccoon when it shows up.

I apologize for any confusion. You are right, up until a point. Here is the whole timeline in chronological order:

1 Friend called, saying she lost 10 hens. Asked me to set up the trail camera.

2 While I was setting up the trail camera, I noticed the hole in the fence. I notified her.

3 She says she fixed the hole. Trail camera footage proves this.

4 That night, the skunks showed up first, two of them in the run. Then, at 11:30 PM, a raccoon was seen in the run by the trail camera. It had a chicken in its jaws, unfortunately.

5 Trail camera then picked up the two skunks eating the rest of the carcass the raccoon left behind.

6 Got a phone call the morning before I checked the trail camera, my friend was saying that a skunk was stuck in the run. She wanted me to dispose of it. She claimed it was the culprit.

7 I went over and shot the skunk.

8 We then reviewed trail camera footage, and discovered the raccoon.

9 I stayed out last night, intentionally leaving the run vulnerable so I can see how the raccoon is getting in, and try to take it out.

10 At 10:30 PM last night, the other skunk showed up. I tried to shoot it, and was unsuccessful. I missed.

11 At 11:30, I went home. I was too tired to go on any further.

12 Today, I called my friend and she said that the raccoon got another hen. She wants me to try again, this time with her husband.

And that is the timeline.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I’m heading out there in about five hours to try again. This time, I’m going to stock up on some caffeine and not leave until I either figure out how the raccoon is getting in, or the raccoon is dead, or both.

Jared

As someone else asked: is the coop being left open?

That'll give you a hint as to where the raccoon is getting in. If the coop's being left open, it's possible the run OR the coop are the issue. If the coop is closed, then you focus on looking around the coop.

In your pictures on page 2, there's a gaping hole in the nest box right next to where you're pointing out the hole in the run fencing. Was that fixed?

Your friend also said they "fixed" the run, but didn't think predators could get into the run in the first place. I'd test that fix to see if it was actually done since the photo of the raccoon the night you put up the game cam looks like it's right by the hole you found and friend said she fixed.

Are your friend and husband not capable of looking for spaces in the run and coop that the raccoon can squeeze through? I would tell them to block up anything about the size of a tennis ball for good measure.

I guess worst case scenario, your friend only has 3 more birds to donate to the raccoon.

That'll give you a hint as to where the raccoon is getting in. If the coop's being left open, it's possible the run OR the coop are the issue. If the coop is closed, then you focus on looking around the coop.

In your pictures on page 2, there's a gaping hole in the nest box right next to where you're pointing out the hole in the run fencing. Was that fixed?

Your friend also said they "fixed" the run, but didn't think predators could get into the run in the first place. I'd test that fix to see if it was actually done since the photo of the raccoon the night you put up the game cam looks like it's right by the hole you found and friend said she fixed.

I do remember last night being out there, the main door was closed, but the door the chickens go through was open. The raccoon must be getting in that way.

Gaping hole? I reviewed the photo, and I just noticed that. I don’t know why I didn’t notice it when I was out there. I’ll notify her when I go over.

I’ll notify her when I go over.

Has your friend even bothered to go take a look herself? It seems like you're going to more effort than she is to stop this.

The fact that the coop is being left open means there's little info to narrow down whether the run or coop is the problem. Based on the fact you caught the coon in the run on the game cam, that's where I'd put money on the access being. First place I would check is your friend's "fix" of the access point you located.

Last edited:

• Friend lost 10 chickens and, despite that evidence, believed predators had no access to the coop - access for raccoon exists somewhere, open coop, open run, or both
If the originally identified access problems haven't already been fixed, then this raccoon is running circles around your friend, intellectually.
I've got 2 neighbors who did the same thing now they have none.

Are your friend and husband not capable of looking for spaces in the run and coop that the raccoon can squeeze through? I would tell them to block up anything about the size of a tennis ball for good measure.

I guess worst case scenario, your friend only has 3 more birds to donate to the raccoon.

@ChickensComeHome2Roost I agree with you completely. I’m just trying to help out the best way I know how.

If they don’t get it fixed and they lose their chickens, it’s their fault. I’m doing my best to help them, though.
3 more nights they won't need to fix it or pay him either.

Back
Top Bottom