1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

unknown sickness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazycicken99, Dec 7, 2012.

1. crazycicken99

crazycicken99 New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi. One of my older chickens has a problem lately and we dont know what it is.
    Her symptoms are Swollen feet, diarrhea (its squirting out of her at times), weight loss and she had not been acting like herself. Sheveould stand on one foot in the backyard. When she sees me come out she comes running though. We just put the apple cider vinegar in ber water and we brought in the house tonight. Does anyone happen to know what is wrong with her.

2. Chicken Goddess

Chicken Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

3. crazycicken99

crazycicken99 New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    Thank you i will try it

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Swollen feet could mean several things but doesnt necessarily mean she has the malady, something to look for/consider: Bumblefoot, gout, scaly leg mites, mycoplasma synoviae, vitamin deficiency. Inspect her for lice/mites. Watery diarrhea and weight loss; probably needs to be wormed.

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Can you post a picture of her feet.

6. crazycicken99

crazycicken99 New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    [​IMG]

7. crazycicken99

crazycicken99 New Egg

Dec 7, 2012

8. crazycicken99

crazycicken99 New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    Does anyone know what it is and how we can treat her

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It doesnt look like scaly leg mites to me. It could possibly be mycoplasma synoviae (MS) but there are usually other symptoms. Another possibility is gout, which I highly suspect. Are the joints in her legs swollen as well? If so, it's most likely gout and will require a change in diet, strictly layer feed and nothing with extra protein in it.
    You can google either "mycoplasma synoviae in poultry" or "gout in poultry" and read up on either if you wish.

10. crazycicken99

crazycicken99 New Egg

Dec 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    The black thing popped and bloody ooze came out and that is what it looks like after it popped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by