unknown sickness

crazycicken99

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 7, 2012
Hi. One of my older chickens has a problem lately and we dont know what it is.
Her symptoms are Swollen feet, diarrhea (its squirting out of her at times), weight loss and she had not been acting like herself. Sheveould stand on one foot in the backyard. When she sees me come out she comes running though. We just put the apple cider vinegar in ber water and we brought in the house tonight. Does anyone happen to know what is wrong with her.

Swollen feet could mean several things but doesnt necessarily mean she has the malady, something to look for/consider: Bumblefoot, gout, scaly leg mites, mycoplasma synoviae, vitamin deficiency. Inspect her for lice/mites. Watery diarrhea and weight loss; probably needs to be wormed.

It doesnt look like scaly leg mites to me. It could possibly be mycoplasma synoviae (MS) but there are usually other symptoms. Another possibility is gout, which I highly suspect. Are the joints in her legs swollen as well? If so, it's most likely gout and will require a change in diet, strictly layer feed and nothing with extra protein in it.
You can google either "mycoplasma synoviae in poultry" or "gout in poultry" and read up on either if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom