Unknown White Chick

SLOChick

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Hey y'all, I bought 12 baby chicks a few weeks ago, and one of them is a white one that I don't think I purchased. She seems to have just appeared with all the others. Is there a way to identify what breed she is?

Attachments

• PXL_20230416_222655080.jpg
    PXL_20230416_222655080.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 934
  • PXL_20230416_222713691.jpg
    PXL_20230416_222713691.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20230416_222718101.jpg
    PXL_20230416_222718101.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 3
Hatcheries often send an extra chick with orders, and sometimes they substitute one breed for another.

It may just be the photo, but the feathers appear to have a bluish cast to them, and I wonder if it is splash instead of white.

Not sure on breed. It has yellow legs, so I think we can rule out Orpingtons and Marans. It could be some hatchery hybrid or perhaps a white rock. But I've never seen rocks with that bluish down before. When it is older and all feathered out, it may be easier to tell what it is.

Hatcheries often send an extra chick with orders, and sometimes they substitute one breed for another.

It may just be the photo, but the feathers appear to have a bluish cast to them, and I wonder if it is splash instead of white.

Not sure on breed. It has yellow legs, so I think we can rule out Orpingtons and Marans. It could be some hatchery hybrid or perhaps a white rock. But I've never seen rocks with that bluish down before. When it is older and all feathered out, it may be easier to tell what it is.
Thanks for looking 🙂 I know it's tough at 3 weeks, and I'm looking forward to seeing what she grows up to be.

Looking back, she was pale grey and yellow, with a darker grey spot on her head at 1-2 days.

@SLOChick hatcheries send an extra chick as that expect one to die as for breed you can contact and ask them and with the gender if you listen a rooster will sound like someone trying to cough, talk, and clear their throat at the same time early on

@SLOChick hatcheries send an extra chick as that expect one to die as for breed you can contact and ask them and with the gender if you listen a rooster will sound like someone trying to cough, talk, and clear their throat at the same time early on
I got my chickens through the local feed store and they do list what they bring in each week. As I look now, I'm starting to lean toward a sapphire splash, possibly. Didn't ask for it, but kinda glad it ended up in the brooder 😁

I got my chickens through the local feed store and they do list what they bring in each week. As I look now, I'm starting to lean toward a sapphire splash, possibly. Didn't ask for it, but kinda glad it ended up in the brooder 😁
They sound fancy

Back
Top Bottom