Unofficial poll: Do you name birds you plan to eat someday?

Do you name birds destined for eating?

• No. Once they’re named, they’re pets.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Only food names like Stew and Nugget.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Only the very special ones.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Yes, group names. I call them something like “the Pies”.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Yes, everybody gets a name.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Other (what do you do?)

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

Xouie

Crowing
Jun 11, 2020
SF Bay Area
Over the past few months I’ve noticed a common piece of advice is “Don’t name birds you’ll be eating or you’ll get too attached”.

It’s interesting to me, having grown up where we named everything (though often the calves were named Chuck or Loaf and the lambs were called Choppy”).

Now with my first set of multiple Cornish cross, I find most of them indistinguishable and I get why folks do group names.

What do/would you do with birds who may go to freezer camp? It’s a multiple options poll in case some folks have multiple flocks

I don't name any intentionally. I have about 80 chickens and 30 turkeys right now....
A few end up with names ... Mr Man my first rooster, lucky because she survived a hawk attack, stinker because she is, crybaby because he wouldn't shut up as a poult.
I hear that. Some names just happen.

Some of mine have names. Most of them just ended up with them, since we couldn't just keep calling it "the grey rooster". I have named some birds that were for meat, it didn't make it hard for me to eat it or be attached to them or anything.

I plan on eating everyone. Some get names or descriptions. Redhead, blackhead, black EE and the like. Others identified by color. Easier to make notes when you can refer back to who did what. Orange (leg tag) laid a broken egg on Tuesday. That one gets named orange.

Then the broody hens get named. Pancake is doing well and I wonder if she will go broody next year.

Some of this is mentality. We got chickens as livestock that we enjoy interacting with. Neat little buggers.

Last edited:
You name them when you observe them. If you plan eating them, don't observe them.
Don't keep a small number. Eventually you will recognize each one from how they behave, even if they don't have names.
I would eat a bird I named. I Just couldn't butcher it my self. But I am a city person.
( except my beautiful first hen Hionula !! She will grow old with me ☺️ )
And maybe my "little fart" , because she was deformed and took care of her for weeks.
And my new male Zachary, because he is so white!!
... I'm in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom