Unopened Expired Yogurt 8/16/2017

I'm really confused.....Some say yes, others say no. :he
:hugs
That is the way it goes on BYC!
Best thing to do is to figure out what is best for you.
It is ok to give chickens a bit of yogurt for pro biotic reasons but never too much...And not a very processed version like yoplait. Plain Greek yogurt if much better and goat yogurt or keefer is is best.

Still, not too much and watch for it being rotten.

I give my dogs, chickens, and quail plain yogurt in small amounts as a treat about once a month, as it helps with the "good bacteria" in their stomach. They've never had a problem, and it was vet recommended for the dogs. I'd be more worried about the high sugar content if the one in question than the close-by expiration date, as my chickens don't get things with lots of added sugar.

:hugs
That is the way it goes on BYC!
Best thing to do is to figure out what is best for you.
It is ok to give chickens a bit of yogurt for pro biotic reasons but never too much...And not a very processed version like yoplait. Plain Greek yogurt if much better and goat yogurt or keefer is is best.

Still, not too much and watch for it being rotten.
Yes, of course! Thank you!

I give my dogs, chickens, and quail plain yogurt in small amounts as a treat about once a month, as it helps with the "good bacteria" in their stomach. They've never had a problem, and it was vet recommended for the dogs. I'd be more worried about the high sugar content if the one in question than the close-by expiration date, as my chickens don't get things with lots of added sugar.
I understand, they don't need the sugar. Thanks

Call me old (I am) but I'm not sure where all the fear about feeding dairy products to chickens came from. Our chickens get all expired or opened old milk, yogurt, sour cream, etc. the exception is moldy products. My chickens remain healthy and do not get diarrhea from dairy products. They have free choice feed, with kitchen scraps & yard weeds & grass as available.

My grandmother's chickens lived with dishwater as their source of water, kitchen scraps as available, a daily sprinkling of grain from Granny's apron pockets, and the rest of their diet was what they foraged. I'm not saying my chickens should live as Granny's chickens had to, but they are an example of the versatility of poultry.

I believe our chickens benefit from our stewardship, but do not need coddling.

I'm really confused.....Some say yes, others say no. :he

There's NOTHING beneficial in Yoplait, so I don't see the point unless you want to give your birds digestion problems with the lactose, sugar and flavoring.

P.S. Just because a bird will "eat it up" doesn't make it beneficial or good for them. Kids will eat candy all day long, doesn't make it healthy.

Back
Top Bottom