unpasterized apple?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Noodlynoo, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Noodlynoo

Noodlynoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    Been reading all the threads and links to making your own ACV and cant find the answer to a question I have. I'm hoping someone clever here will know!
    I have been given 2 very big Scobys and I want to make my own ACV. I want to start with apple juice and not cider but everything I've read says the apple juice needs to be unpasteurized.

1. How do I know if its pasteurized or not?

2. How important is it that its unpasteurized?

Any help really appreciated! :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The label should say whether it's raw or pasteurized.
    Pasteurization kills all the natural enzymes. Can you replenish them with scoby, I don't know.
    I know it doesn't have to be organic.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Since it's apple season it shouldn't be hard to find fresh unpasteurized apple juice and/or you could always make your own juice... Seems like everyone nowadays has a juicer...

4. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    You should be able to find unpasteurized apple cider pretty much everywhere (it's usually in the produce section, in a cooler - has to stay cold).

That being said,if you're going to add a culture (mother, scoby, etc), there's no reason it needs to be unpasteurized.

Also, the words 'cider' and 'juice' are only formally defined in a couple of states - there are companies that sell the same thing as both - some use the two words as essentially marketing terms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by