unpopular chicken opinions??

I am not but I am breeding in general. I somewhat see the point of distinctive breeds and not just generic chickens (someone mentioned hatchery birds tend towards the same generic shape rather than being breed standard) from a genetics stand point because I love genetics but I also see value in mixed breeds or more midline chickens because they should - in theory - have fewer health problems
My birds from hatcheries all have distinct shapes.

Yep. It's a usual occurance unfortunately when there are people who think their birds are better just because they're not from a hatchery
Well... I do think birds from a breeder who cares about standards will have better birds than a hatchery. But I wouldn't discourage anyone from having or showing chickens because they have hatchery birds, especially not a kid who put a lot of work into raising a chicken.

I am not but I am breeding in general. I somewhat see the point of distinctive breeds and not just generic chickens (someone mentioned hatchery birds tend towards the same generic shape rather than being breed standard) from a genetics stand point because I love genetics but I also see value in mixed breeds or more midline chickens because they should - in theory - have fewer health problems
I only dislike when hatchery or mixed breeds are mislabeled, such as if they were sold as show quality purebreds. I actually prefer mixes. I don’t think I would ever want to breed two chickens of the same breed together, to be honest. :lol:

I only dislike when hatchery or mixed breeds are mislabeled, such as if they were sold as show quality purebreds. I actually prefer mixes. I don’t think I would ever want to breed two chickens of the same breed together, to be honest. :lol:
I agree with that. I stay away from those breeds, even if I want them since they might not even be that breed period

I've got a whole flock of American game crossed with Orpington. started out with a rooster that was half and half & two spangled american game ladies.

All my hatchery birds have this same exact body type. I don’t see why people like it.
6427C2ED-3B60-456C-AC19-64D1D205AEC8.jpeg
0022F630-6204-4295-9D42-25671A112CD9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom