unpopular chicken opinions??

Doesn’t Tractor Supply usually have chick days for a few weeks? In 2020, Chick Days went on all summer. That’s how I grabbed an extra half dozen of Penedesenca. Not walking out without those. Just got my first egg too. Dark chocolate brown just like it’s supposed to be 😍
last year after my barred rocks got eaten we went to fill the void with six more chicks and TS still had them. keeping in mind it was september so that was crazy late. the lady even tried to talk up out of getting chicks that late, but i’m glad i got my girls when i did. just our luck we ended up getting a rooster.

last year after my barred rocks got eaten we went to fill the void with six more chicks and TS still had them. keeping in mind it was september so that was crazy late. the lady even tried to talk up out of getting chicks that late, but i’m glad i got my girls when i did. just our luck we ended up getting a rooster.
It was funny, the day I decided to give my Cochin some fosters (glad I didn't) was the day AFTER their last chick day

What do you think should happen to all the males that hatch? It's sad, but what else is there to do with them?
(Why I always say I'm okay with packing peanuts when ordering.) I know they're males and they might not be anything I ordered, but I can still raise and either eat or sell them.

(Why I always say I'm okay with packing peanuts when ordering.) I know they're males and they might not be anything I ordered, but I can still raise and either eat or sell them.
My extra adult roosters each get sold with a matching hen. Period. I picked out the Tractor Supply Penedesenca pullets with the biggest combs and was really disappointed not one pullet turned out to be a boy :rant :gig

Well, if you raise them to what 9 weeks or what is it, you can sell them as food chickens. This is entirely subjective of course. But then again, if they kill the day old chick and turn it into cat food, well, the cat lovers won't mind, or the cat. So when you boil it down and try to remove all the emotions. As long as it's being used somehow and not just thrown in the trash, what makes one age ok to kill but not another? It's not like the chicken is going to be able to 'fight' for it's life and actually win and say ok, be free Mr. Rooster, this 100 acres of pasture is all yours for winning the arena games!

Aaron

Well, if you raise them to what 9 weeks or what is it, you can sell them as food chickens. This is entirely subjective of course. But then again, if they kill the day old chick and turn it into cat food, well, the cat lovers won't mind, or the cat. So when you boil it down and try to remove all the emotions. As long as it's being used somehow and not just thrown in the trash, what makes one age ok to kill but not another? It's not like the chicken is going to be able to 'fight' for it's life and actually win and say ok, be free Mr. Rooster, this 100 acres of pasture is all yours for winning the arena games!

Aaron
These are my thoughts exactly. If the male chicks still have a purpose (fertilizer, pet food, ect.), I don't see how age of the rooster makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom