Unruley roo!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by countrygirl4513, Jan 2, 2008.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Hey all it's been quite a while since I've posted, honestly haven't had any problems to speak of, but I've been peeking in and keeping up with you all.
    Here's the most recent development. My Brahma roo (Roto-rooster)is starting to become aggressive. I've never had a problem with him myself, but he and my 14 yr old son don't get along. Jon is the world's worst at egging (no pun intended) him on by teasing him and making Roto feel like sparring. I've told Jon to quit, but he views it as a challenge between him and the roo. I've told him he'll be sorry when Roto sneaks up behind him someday and nails him real good. Well today, while changing frozen waterers etc. Roto starts his sparring dance with me. I was shocked he's always viewed me as the top roo. He even went so far as to follow me up to the house, trying to sneak up on me. I don't know if the fact that I had a boggin cap on made him think I was my son or not. But I can't have a roo that I'm afraid to turn my back on. So, what to do? How do I nip this in the bud? I can't catch Roto except when roosting, so how do I let this unruley roo know he can't get away with this behavior? His spurs are near to completely developed and he has been sparring with the other roo in the flock. Just don't want him sparring with me. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, my roos go to the freezer, but if you want to try, there are two ways. 1) Unconditional love and carrying him around like a foot ball for all the chicken chores. 2) Snapping at him till he is afraid to look at you. There are mixed success with either method but personally, have found the only solid one is to make soup.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I think silkiechickens second suggestion is a good one for your situation, because you can't catch him to try the first.

I'd hate to think that an animal will loose its life because it exhibits behavior that it has been provked into by a child.

Of course if that were an acceptable solution, I don't think you would have posted the question. [​IMG]

Give it a shot and let us know what happens.
    Good luck to you and your roo.

4. Charlie Chicken

Charlie Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Phippsburg, ME
    Your son has taught the rooster that humans are trouble. Its hard to change a rooster's behavior because they live by their personality, their instinct and their environment. At this point it sounds like your rooster is acting exactly as he would be expected to act under the circumstances. If the teasing stops there may be a chance that over time the rooster will learn that humans are not a threat and will forget his fear of and attitude towards humans but it isn't likely.

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    This is never an easy situation. Here is a link to a website that has helped me alot. Poopybutt was starting to get really aggresive with me. I followed these guidelines and now he is tolerable when I'm around. I can at least pick him up now. It may not sound like my situation was bad, but I have the nice round scar on my inner left leg just below the knee for proof. Here is that website:

http://shilala.homestead.com/roosters.html

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Stop the teasing is a no-brainer for starts. If you are serious about keeping the roo, you need to take care of the flock. If you don't have time for the flock, then maybe?

Bengal Tigers don't tolerate teasing and roosters don't either. Mine depend on me for fresh water, feed, dry housing and respectful care. Nothing else works very well, right?

bigzio

7. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Quote:I have time for my flock otherwise I wouldn't have them. My flock is the most spoiled group to ever come down the pike. But when you've got 2 males strung out on testosterone, neither of them will back off. I've also noticed that Roto is sparring with my other roo, too. So, I guess anyone is a challenge to him.

8. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    First, I wish I had some great advice for you. I don't, other than kill 'em with kindness. I don't let my roo crow when I'm around (I snap "stop it!", and if that doesn't work, I'll 'lunge' at him.). Occasionally I pick him up and carry him around, patting and loving but being firm. I haven't had any problems with him at all. My kids leave him completely alone, however.

Actually, let me amend that. My stupid sil let her kids (2, 1) chase my chickens after we TOLD HER that it was potential disaster. Rocky felt his girls were threatened, and knocked the 2yo to the ground. Thankfully, I have a little roo (1lb), and he didn't hurt her. Later I had a talk with my neice (didn't bother with sil.. you can't teach a rock anything) about being careful around the chickens, but not to be afraid of them.

On the other hand, my husband feels he is constantly challenged by my little roo (and our half-grown one that needs a new home). Dh feels that Rocky has kicked dirt, and basically challenged him. I tend to agree with you- two testosterone-laden males, neither wants to back down.
    Thankfully, dh doesn't tease Rocky, although he doesn't back down, either.

Maybe first, address your son. Tell him what's now happening, and that it is a danger to you and everyone else. Maybe tell him that you hate for your roo to go in the stewpot, but if you can't get this under control, that's the next step. I don't have a son your son's age (mine is six), so not sure how affective that will be? I know with my ds, it would have limited affectiveness. I don't think, though, that until you get your son to stop that there is any point in retraining your roo. Does that make sense? (and maybe.. just a thought.. talk to your son about how much more humiliating it is to the roo to be held and loved on. Maybe your kid will pick him up and lovingly carry him around, instead of inciting wars)

Again, I don't have a 14yo, so I don't have a ton of advice for you. I have issues with my own son from time to time. He has a guinea pig that has seen her share of abuse. Thankfully, they really adore each other, so he holds her and pats her, and gives her a ton of treats. I had to work hard to get it to this point, though. For a long time DS just didn't GET IT. And we've had pets since before he was born, so he's always been around them, and should have known better.

Good luck to you.

Meghan

9. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    Our youngest roo comes after only me. DH tells me to kick him. I am using a cane right now as I broke my ankle and am still recovering(which is why I think he comes after me). When Quantrell gets an attitude with DH, he kicks him and everything is fine for a while. Christmas eve he went after our DGD who is 9, DH kicked him and Quantrell has been fine ever since. I keep saying that if he doesn't stop it, I have a soup pot with his name on it!

Monica

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Countrygirl! Nice to see you back!

I had a roo that started to get really aggressive all of his own accord. I read the site that you were given in an earlier post and was very diligent in following the advice. At first it seemed to be curing the aggressive behaviors, but then he just got worse to the point that he was really hurting us. AT that point we started being aggressive back to him and that just made it even worse. This was a hand-raised, often handled roo. I have had several others who were never aggressive at all. I have come to the conclusion that between the testosterone and the natural instincts of roosters, there are just some that will never be easy to live with. There are people on this forum who have successfully rehabilitatede their roosters, so I hope you do find something that works for your roo and that you find it before he really hurts somebody. Rooster spurrings are not fun!!

Best of luck,
    Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by