Unsexed Chicks from Local Farm

ScrmnWoody

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Whatcom County, WA
I was picking up some more chick starter from the local feed and farm store, today. Keep in mind that these folks sell sexed chicks and claim that they have a 99% rate of hens. They order them in from someplace.

As we were talking, they asked where I got my chicks from. I responded that I had bought them from a local hobby farm as a straight run and was hoping for a 50% hens - roosters ratio or better. They literally laughed at me and said I'll be lucky to end up with two hens. Their theory is that if you buy local, you'll end up with mostly roosters.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? All I can do at this point is wait and see. But, I was a little put off by the attitude of the staff. Almost as though they were discouraging me from buying someplace besides there. But, who knows? Could they be right?

wink.png
They're sneaky like that...LOL

They order the chicks pre-sexed...it's just one of their tricks. The salespeople don't have any idea what is what unless they're marked somehow.

Yeah my there is a local farm that does that to here they say they come from quality lines but I am cool with there kid and he said they come from IDEAL
lol.png
duc.gif

Edited for: spelling

Last edited:
I disagree with the statement that if you buy local you'll be lucky to end up with two hens. I buy unsexed chicks locally, and have usually gotten 50-50 roo's and hen's. One farm will even take back roosters, and trade foe an even number of unsexed chicks, untill you get the ratio that you want. If you did not like your experience with their staff, My suggestion would be to try a friendly local source, and see for yourself.

As to the great profit they may be after to sell you some chicks...

I bought 4 chicks for $2 each last year = $8.

I subsequently have purchased oh, maybe a couple hundred dollars worth of feed, poultry netting, waterers, flock blocks, grit, oyster shell, heated waterer, and building materials - mostly at my same local feed store. Of course some of this start up cost won't repeat, but all of the feedstuffs will, and are obviously proportional to your flock size.

They may make some money on the chick sales (more if you buy more) but mine have clearly made their profit on all of the other purchases I make there.

If you decide to shop elsewhere, you might want to apply that to everything chicken, not just the chicks.

I like voting with dollars...

Back
Top Bottom