Unsolicited advice, anyone?

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
Does anyone else get unsolicited "advice" from well-meaning but clueless family and friends on chicken raising? I'm sure you do. What are the best and worst advice you've ever received?

So tonight while prepping my new, bigger brooder for chicks to hatch this weekend (26 eggs), the hubby comes to the basement to tell me "what a great idea it would be to set up the little tote brooder, too, just so, you know, when the little fuzzballs are all wet and weak from hatching and the first one or two are all alone, they'd have a cozy place to get used to their new freedom and all. You know, until they can run around and stuff." (That tote is only big enough for maybe 12 chicks.)

I poo-poo'ed his suggestion at first. Who is he to tell me how to set up a brooder? He never pays attention to what I've learned on BYC, or researched on the 'net or from books, anyway! But then.... he has a good point. I can set up the little tote with paper towels and then move the chicks to the big brooder and wood chips when they're past the most critical stage, and eating and drinking well from their feeders. I plan to hatch several broods back-to-back, so this would make cleanup and setup easier between hatchings. Hmmm. I told him so, and thank you.

What have people told you, that either worked out or was the worst advice ever?

I love it when my wife tells me how easy it should be for me to catch one of my animals when required for a CDT shot, a bolus, an inspection for inury/illness, or for culling...

She';s stopped telling me how to feed them.

We'll leave it at that.
This reminds me of the time my old show doe (may her memory be a blessing) taught a Mississippi State Quarterback a lesson. We have a long standing working relationship with the school, and brought her up for I believe a general check up. Warned him "hey hold the collar this way. These are show goats but the breed loves to test people".

Welp

160 pound goat drug the 200+ pound college football player down the alley way like he was a sack of feed. :lau

Then there was the time some vet students saw one of our bucks with their glorious beard middle of rut season... Before we or the professor could warn them they were all rubbing up to his face and beard going "he so cuuute".

Think we can guess their reaction post.

Back
Top Bottom