1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

unsteady hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kman1239, Feb 11, 2007.

1. kman1239

kman1239 New Egg

Feb 11, 2007
    ok i need your help!!

i have a 2 year old frizzle hen, we found her outside the other day and she was very unsteady on her feet. she would walk a few steps and then fall. she seems to be using her wings for balance but that does not always work.

she has been like this for 3 days.

she shows no other symptoms that is why i am puzzled. she will eat and drink, she does not have runny poops. her comb dosnt appear to be pale.

she is a sweet little thing and i do not know what to do, i want to do everything i can to save her. the other hens in the house have no symptoms.

i did leave her in the house but now i am going to remove her tonite she has some feathers missing from her back and there is a sore. i do not know if the others were picking on her or if she was pulling her own feathers.

any ideas??

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I think separating her a very good idea...do you think that "sore"might be infected? clean and treat with antibiotic creme. What do you feed your bird???

3. kman1239

kman1239 New Egg

Feb 11, 2007
    the sore is new today, i did put a antiseptic spray on it.

she east a layer mash.

4. jobishop

jobishop Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    My Coop
    I have a 2 yr rooster acting like that. I don't think he crows anymore. He can walk but if he gets excited he falls down and sometimes goes in circles. He also has some black spots and "lines" on one side of his comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by