Unsure of breed and age. Would also appreciate your opinions as to pullet or cockerel.

eje99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Hello All,
I acquired 4 chicks from a local breeder. I was told the lighter two were Ameraucanas and the two darker ones were Marans. Based on my research though, I'm not sure they're Ameraucanas, but may be EE. Also, not sure about their ages. Given the time of year, I'm hoping to gather information on when it's safe to move them outdoors full time as well. I'm currently taking them outdoors during the day and moving them in at night. We've got 30-40 degree lows forecast in our area of Massachusetts.
I'm also wondering whether they're pullets or cockerels for multiple reasons. When I moved chicks 1&3 out to their daytime coop today for the first time, they spent several minutes all fluffed up and chest-bumping each other. Although they've been in the brooder for almost 4 weeks with no previous problems, I'm assuming this was to establish pecking order, but also wondering if it may have been two cockerels going at each other.

I'm going to load a couple pictures of each bird, any help you can give is appreciated!

Chick 1 - (Pardon the poop she dropped as I snapped the picture!)

Chick 2 - Also sustained an injury to her beak today when she freaked out a bit when I moved her into this "playpen".

:

Chick 3 - Marans

I'm sorry - I had trouble posting the pictures of the Marans chicks - I will keep trying to load them, but in the meantime, any opinions on the Ameraucanas is welcome.

I don't think any are Ameraucana or even Easter Eggers. Are they Bantam or Large Fowl? They look like Old English to me.

Hard to say about genders without knowing ages. Pullets will chest bump and raise hackles.

I don't think any are Ameraucana or even Easter Eggers. Are they Bantam or Large Fowl? They look like Old English to me.

Hard to say about genders without knowing ages. Pullets will chest bump and raise hackles.
I agree, they don't look like AM/EE at all.
They look like (really cute!!) bantams of some kind.

They are both Old English Game, or at least Old English Game mixes. Both are pullets. As for age, it can be hard to tell, but I'd say they're 4-5 months old.

To me, they don't look like either Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers. They look like Old English Game mixes to me. Whatever the breed, they are a beautiful color!

Agree they're pullets, and not Ameraucana or Ee. I agree they look gamey, but am not sure if that pretty white skin lends itself to OEG or not.

I'd say 4ish months, and they're well able to be outside full time, no matter the weather. Dry and out of the wind, and those little ladies will be able to take anything your winter dishes out.

Thank you all for your input. I had my suspicions and would not buy from this woman again! A bit disappointed I wont get colored eggs, but Oh well.
Either way, I love my girls and think they are beautiful!

Agree they're pullets, and not Ameraucana or Ee. I agree they look gamey, but am not sure if that pretty white skin lends itself to OEG or not.

I'd say 4ish months, and they're well able to be outside full time, no matter the weather. Dry and out of the wind, and those little ladies will be able to take anything your winter dishes out.

I thought they were supposed to have white skin.

Defiantly oegb mixes. Very pretty, look like pullets. Although I must share, my one EE has the exact same pattern has chick 2! If my EE didn't have a beard they would be identical :)

Back
Top Bottom