Unsure of colors

I get really confused with the blue, self blue, lavender, porcelain or whatever myself, but those are some really pretty chickens. Does it really matter what you call them?
lol.png

Quote:
As strange as this may sound, yes it does.

My daughter talked me into buying a pair of flemish giant rabbits at an auction. Of course, being rabbits they did what all rabbits do, they had little rabbits. The babies turned out to be large, beautiful rabbits that were eating us out of house and home. Long story short they were listed for sale. The very first person who came out to look at them freaked on me. Told me they weren't purebred flemish because of their coloring (not solid colors). She called me a liar among other things and stormed off. We had them listed as flemish with no mention of purebred, we also had pictures of the parents posted with the ad and we were only asking $10.00 each. I was very upset after she left, jumped online & found out about flemish coloring, etc. I also immediately changed the ad to flemish cross. We sold all of the rabbits, parents included and I swore I'd never go through something like that again. So it's quite important to me to know exactly what I have and what their coloring is called.

And thank you, I also love the colors that's why I bought them. It doesn't matter to me if they're not a pure breed, it's just important to me to know one way or the other.

They look like pure OEGB, just a non-regognized color. If you go the the OEGB site http://www.bantychicken.com/cgi-bin/OEGBCA/index.cgi?action=forum&board= and post there they should be able to help you with that, it might be of some interest over there and you might even find people interested in chicks from them. I say keep breeding them, they are pretty birds.
Maybe call them lemon lavender or something like that. The hen looks like she has coloring on her breast so now I am thinking that they are a BBR bird with lavender which would cause the red to dilute to the lemon color. Liek I said check the OEGB site.

Lavender and self-blue are the same thing. The recessive gene that causes this colour is named lavender, and the ABA & APA name for the colour is self-blue.

By itself self-blue is a uniformly coloured bird. The hackles would be identical in colour to the rest of the plumage.

The lavender gene causes a double dilution of both red and black pigment.

Porcelain is a lavender diluted mille fleur pattern.

I don't believe they are plain self-blue--you can definitely see the straw/lemon colouring in his hackles and saddle, and it looks like she has some as well. Plus her breast looks lighter and slightly yellowed. Her blue (regardless of which it is) seems more uniformly coloured than his, which appears more splotchy.

Shade-wise they are a good match for self-blue.

It is a really pretty colour.

Took your advice flyingmonkeypoop and posted on the forums there. So far no one there knows what they are either.
A couple of people are checking around to see what they can find out for me, so hopefully they can solve the mystery
smile.png

I'm new with self-blue OEG I got them last year, but I have both colors. Some of the cockerel have the buff on them. I like the one that don't so I'm going to use him for breeding... My hens don't have it they are all blue.... De

They are Self-Blue. The male shouldn't have that yellowish top colour but sometimes they do. The female has nice feather quality which is hard to get in Self-Blues.
Lemon Blues are quite different. They are andalusian Blue [laced] with a gold overlay. Both colours much stronger than the colours on these birds.

Back
Top Bottom