Unsure problem

smallfarmnorth

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 26, 2012
Hello everyone.

We received our new chicks on Wednesday of this week and today as we cleaned out the brooder and were checking the chicks over we noticed that one chick had quite the build up of poo on her rear (more than any other chick and really not right) we cleaned the area with a mild children's soap and warm water in a bath and were able to get the area pretty clean, dried her off and put her back with the rest. now late at night she has been the only one up peeping and is quite lethargic only takes a step or two and continues to peep. she has not really eaten or drank any water that we have seen. does this seem to be a digestive issue or something else we should be looking at?

I've noticed chicks loudly peep when they are cold. Check your temperature in different areas of the brooder. I use a vitamin/ electrolyte/probiotic in the water with new chicks. I give them Gro-Gel or chick sized scratch the first two days because it keeps the stool firm. Don't use soap on the chicks when cleaning a pasty butt. Use a paper towel or cotton ball dabbed in warm water and hold it gently on the vent for a bit. The fecal matter can then be gently removed in one piece usually. Gently dab it dry and put the chick back in the warm brooder. They don't like sudden temperature changes. Watch to see if the chick is getting access to food and water without getting pushed away by other chicks.

Last edited:
Thanks
the temp has been the same for the past few days.we did use a paper towel at first but there was so much dried stuff that's why we gave the small bath to help break it up and get it off, which worked out great to clean the area.

Yes med feed but we lost her tonight. we separated her and within an hour she let out a runny stool kind of clear and whitish and died within ten minutes. the other 14 are doing fine and stools look fine we will clean out the brooder and continue on
thanks

I'm sorry about your chick. I always do my best to save a life but it isn't always possible. Good luck with the rest of those chicks. There's an excellent book on raising chicks called Success With Baby Chicks by Robert Plamondon. There's a number of worthless books on raising chickens out there. Plamondon's isn't one of them. I highly recommend it even to those veteran poultrymen/women.

Back
Top Bottom