Untrained dogs?? Help please!(:

QuinnieWynz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Nevada
Heeeelllo!! :) So we're getting chicks in march, which will be backyard cooped up chickens. And after that, I want to get 2 indoor silkies. But the problem is we have 2 dogs. A young border collie and a senior fox terrier, who is a bit 'different' from a head injury. Our border collie Bodhi(we rescued him) was kicked off his farm because we was to aggressive towards the farmers chicken. I know I know, really stupid that we're getting chickens right? But my dad could not be persuaded, and after research and reading books I also fell in love with chickens. And then our terrier is, well, and old senile terrier who probably has a hunting instinct. My dad and stepmom thinks its a bad idea to have indoor chickens with our dogs running around. The silkies and I would be at my dads house where the dogs live 2-4 days a week. The rest of the week my 2 chickens and I would be at my mom's house, where there are no other pets. :) But I've really been wanting these chickens and I still do, and I'm willing to do anything to make it an indoor chicken environment. Either way we'll be getting the silkies, but they if all else fails they'll be living outside. ):
So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or ways they know of to make it safer for my chickens. I understand I wouldn't be able to let the silkies wander around alone with the dogs, but I don't want them scratching/barking and going crazy after them. It would also probably greatly help my dad in managing his backyard coup. I'm determined, so if I can't find anything here I'll find it somewhere!
Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate it!!!!!!!! <333

thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
If I'm reading your post correctly, the dogs go back and forth with you from your mom's house to your dad's house? If that is the case, why not leave the dogs at whichever house the chickens are not at?

The two dogs stay at my dad's house. The two silkies and I would be over at my dad's house 2-4 days a week, and the rest of the week they would be at my moms house which has no other pets. :)
If I'm reading your post correctly, the dogs go back and forth with you from your mom's house to your dad's house? If that is the case, why not leave the dogs at whichever house the chickens are not at?

Do you know anyone near you that would loan you a chicken for a couple days while you visit your dad? This way you could evaluate just how determined the dogs are to get the chicken. For example say the chicken was in a crate in your room, with door closed, and either dog was totally obsessed with them, like scratching and whining at the door, sitting by the door continuously etc, you would know that indoor chickens would be a BIG training job, perhaps fatal to the chicken, and not a wise idea. However if they came in your room, curious but not crazy, you could discourage them and teach them that they are "yours" and they need to 1. Not bother them and 2. Not concern themselves with them. I'd only let them approach the crate for like 2 seconds then say a sharp "no" and make them move away and focus on something else. They can't stand on the other side of the room and stare at them either, that's being obsessive. If you're able to watch it, I'd highly reccomend "the Dog Whisperer" with Cesar Milan on Nat Geo. Libraries sometimes have past seasons available too. Hope this helps, Silkies are sweet little things!

Thanks so much! That's a great idea! We'll have my dad's backyard chickens by then that I can use! We get his in march, and we wouldn't get our Silkies until about may:)
Do you know anyone near you that would loan you a chicken for a couple days while you visit your dad? This way you could evaluate just how determined the dogs are to get the chicken. For example say the chicken was in a crate in your room, with door closed, and either dog was totally obsessed with them, like scratching and whining at the door, sitting by the door continuously etc, you would know that indoor chickens would be a BIG training job, perhaps fatal to the chicken, and not a wise idea. However if they came in your room, curious but not crazy, you could discourage them and teach them that they are "yours" and they need to 1. Not bother them and 2. Not concern themselves with them. I'd only let them approach the crate for like 2 seconds then say a sharp "no" and make them move away and focus on something else. They can't stand on the other side of the room and stare at them either, that's being obsessive. If you're able to watch it, I'd highly reccomend "the Dog Whisperer" with Cesar Milan on Nat Geo. Libraries sometimes have past seasons available too. Hope this helps, Silkies are sweet little things!

I don't think my mother would want to care for them on her own while I'm away. Possibly if I could convince, do some extra chores and what not. :) If possible I would want to have them at my dads at least sometimes. Maybe since it's a limited time I could get the dogs to a point where they're under control and then just have to keep them separate. Lock all the dogs inside while I give them exploring time in the backyard and then inside keep them in separate rooms. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it! :)
Oh - well in that case, why not just leave the Silkies at your moms and the dogs at your dads and then you won't have to worry about it?

Because I want to be able to be around my chickens and interact with them far more. Call me crazy, but I've known people who have done/are doing it, and I like the idea and I love chickens so I think it'd be something for me too. :) Not keeping them in the back just taking their eggs and then butchering them went they stop laying.
My first question is why and inside chicken? Really?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom