Unusual behaviour favorelle

NoNeck

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2022
Hi all!
The last 2 or 3 days I have realised that my 7/8 month old favorelle has been has been venturing off to "lay". She free ranges along with my other hens. But when I go to check her new spot, there are no eggs.
I had a feeling she might have been egg bound.. because maybe she was trying to get an egg out and nothing was there? But i dont believe she is egg bound .. as she doesnt have the penguin walk and i noticed this behaviour about 48 hours ago now.
Any ideas as to what she might be doing?

EDIT-I just realised shes not 7 or 8 months yet. She hatched at the very end of Feb.. so that would make her just over 6 months.... could it be that shes "practising laying"? Because i dont know if shes laid her first egg yet. Its hard for me to tell as I have a mix of breeds. I did realise about 2 weeks ago that my rooster finally started dancing for her and I just witnessed him mount her today. Could she be just about to lay or would you assume shes laying already?

Last edited:
Hi all!
The last 2 or 3 days I have realised that my 7/8 month old favorelle has been has been venturing off to "lay". She free ranges along with my other hens. But when I go to check her new spot, there are no eggs.
I had a feeling she might have been egg bound.. because maybe she was trying to get an egg out and nothing was there? But i dont believe she is egg bound .. as she doesnt have the penguin walk and i noticed this behaviour about 48 hours ago now.
I just realised shes not 7 or 8 months yet. She hatched at the very end of Feb.. so that would make her just over 6 months.... could it be that shes "practising laying"? Because i dont know if shes laid her first egg yet. Its hard for me to tell as I have a mix of breeds. I did realise about 2 weeks ago that my rooster finally started dancing for her and I just witnessed him mount her today. Could she be just about to lay or would you assume shes laying already?

I just realised shes not 7 or 8 months yet. She hatched at the very end of Feb.. so that would make her just over 6 months.... could it be that shes "practising laying"? Because i dont know if shes laid her first egg yet. Its hard for me to tell as I have a mix of breeds. I did realise about 2 weeks ago that my rooster finally started dancing for her and I just witnessed him mount her today. Could she be just about to lay or would you assume shes laying already?
Sounds like she's getting ready to lay soon.

Pullets do that behavior before they lay their first egg. They look around for the best place to lay, they become restless and nervous going all over the place. This lasts 1 or 2 days and then they finally lay. Totally normal behavior

If your rooster just started to pay attention, I would expect that she is about to lay. How does her Comb look? If it has swelled up, and bright red, those too are signs. However, in my experience, it is 2-3 weeks from when they squat to when they lay.

Hi all!

EDIT-I just realised shes not 7 or 8 months yet. She hatched at the very end of Feb.. so that would make her just over 6 months.... could it be that shes "practising laying"? Because i dont know if shes laid her first egg yet. Its hard for me to tell as I have a mix of breeds. I did realise about 2 weeks ago that my rooster finally started dancing for her and I just witnessed him mount her today. Could she be just about to lay or would you assume shes laying already?
One of mine likes to lay away from everybody else - she lays in the weirdest places. We will find her pretty tell-tale eggs in places and laugh at what made her decide on that spot today...maybe look around and see if there are any eggs elsewhere??

Back
Top Bottom