Unusual problem with double-wall waterers?

sezjasper

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Eldersburg, Maryland
Leave it to me, I have searched the forums and it looks like I'm having the opposite problem with my galvanized waterers (both of them) than previous posters have had. Instead of leaking, my waterers stop dispensing water. What's weird is this just started happening...or maybe it's just now become noticeable because the extreme heat has evaporated what's left in the pan. Either way, this is a problem I can't ignore! I have considered perhaps the waterer was off balance, so I went out with a level and fixed that problem; no luck. When I lift the handle, the waterer is heavy and water fills the pan, but it looks like my girls get to drink that water and no more comes out. The waterers are cleaned daily so I know there's nothing in the water to clog them. I'm at a loss! I don't know what time my girls wake up in the morning, but I do know that I can't have them locked in their coop with no access to water...scary!! Has anyone else had this problem, and could possibly suggest a solution? Thanks!

When you put the lid on your waterer is it moving the spring lever,with the rubber washer on it, in toward the center of the bottom pan? The rubber washer has to move enough to let water out and when it gets low air in. As air goes in water will come out and cover the hole, when the birds drink water drops-air goes in-water comes out, then the peocess continues unril the waterer is empty.

If the spring lever has been bent, bend it back to where it works again. This waterer will work even without the spring lever and washer because of the physics of air water displacement. With the simple science involved with these waterers there is no way they should not work and they don't have to be exactly level to work.

Back
Top Bottom