Unusual (to me) looking coturnix quail from mix color breeding

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
I have a quail that is believe is a mix of a white (recessive so Im told) to either a golden or pharaoh male as I have no white males. It looks like this:
It is the large one in the middle of the shot. It has a bit of white on its chest and is mostly a grayish brown color but has the white on its face. I didnt expect this as I was told mating a white with either golden (dominant to all) or pharaoh (dominant to white) would either be golden or pharaoh colored. Any ideas what is going on here?

Each of the parents must have had a recessive gene for whatever color that is, I have no idea what it is but it looks cool! Could you (if possible) try to get a picture of it in natural sunlight?

Thanks for the complement. Ill pass it on to him/.her. Hopefully someone else will have a guess. I am wondering if the white-Pharaoh-Golden is not as complete in dominance and instead degrees. That might cause the white to "bleed" though the other types in some cases.
Lets see what other might say.

Thank you so much for responding. It is so nice to get at least one reply when I post and ask question(s).

You're welcome
smile.png
I think that golden is actually incomplete dominant, but not 100% sure. And the Pharaoh/wildtype seems like it may also be incomplete dominant cause most white coturnix have spots of that color. I'm just starting to learn about color genetics.

Last edited:
Yes I noticed the brown feathers on a few of my whites too and refer to it a white with chocolate sauce.
I agree, incomplete dominance is probable in all and the recessive white color does show up in some of the wild type so Im thinking that the white might be stronger than a true recessive. Im pretty certain the egg came from my only white female but because the face on the offspring in the picis golden Im a bit baffled. I also can see some of the pharaoh feathering color and patterning in the feathers down the center of its back. It is young (going on 4 weeks) yet so its coloring may change some more. Ill share some more pics if the change happens. I have both pharaoh and golden males in with my female quail so I cant be certain who's the daddy
big_smile.png

The white parent has its own set of colour genes that are covered over by the white.
I think of white as a marking rather than a colour.

I would say your white parent has tibetan underneath the white.
This baby is therefore likely a diluted tibetan.

Back
Top Bottom