unusually large egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Caincando1, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Caincando1

Caincando1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Dodge Center MN
    Either my RIR or EE hen laid this unusually large egg. I put the RIR’s usual egg on the left and the EE’s usual egg on the right for comparison. I haven’t cracked it open to see if it’s a double yoke yet. I’m sure it not uncommon for hens to have an occasionally large egg. I just thought I’d post a picture.

[​IMG]

2. BigRednRock

BigRednRock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    i have a 3 black star hens. 1 lays huge eggs everytime (she's the only one who lays in the dirt) the other 2 lay normal size...

3. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Two of my hens have laid an unusually large egg over time, neither of which was a double-yolker. The first time I saw it, all I could think of was how much it must've hurt the poor girl coming out! Once, one laid a really teensy egg but with a soft shell. Since mine are all different breeds, it's easy to tell which hen has laid which egg, so I know where they came from.

This was my red cap's bizarre egg from about a year and a half ago. She had only been laying a few months at the time. OUCH.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by