Unvaccinated chicks

Jun 21, 2023
I recently ordered 75 chicks from a hatchery, 25 of them are laying hens. They arrive this week. The hatchery asked to vaccinate them for Marek's and for Coccidiosis and I wasnt sure at that moment so I decided against it. I see now reading through some post that I should have got them vaccinated. What are my options now for prevenative measures? If things go terribly wrong what percent of them would I lose or would I lose all of them? First time poster and first time chicken man. Great place you have here. Thanks for feedback in advance.

Why do you you think you should have gotten them vaccinated?
Coccidosis is easy to treat and not life threatening unless you ignore it, IF they get a bad case.
The Mareks vaccine does not prevent them from getting or spreading the disease, it just *usually* prevents the growth of mareks tumors that cause the issues.

Why do you you think you should have gotten them vaccinated?
Coccidosis is easy to treat and not life threatening unless you ignore it, IF they get a bad case.
The Mareks vaccine does not prevent them from getting or spreading the disease, it just *usually* prevents the growth of mareks tumors that cause the issues.
ive never had mine vaccinated and never had a issue so you should be fine
Thanks for sheding some light on that. I had done some research and thought it was gonna be the best way. Thanks for your replies.

Thanks for sheding some light on that. I had done some research and thought it was gonna be the best way. Thanks for your replies.
we always want the best dont worry. vaccines work by giving a small amount of said virus to get your immune system a blueprint to work with and know how to fight against it. the problem is viruses evolve and mutate so sometimes it doesnt work. its a 50/50 chance of working. if the hatchery is clean you dont have to worry about it. if on the other hand your birds from an established flock were sick then i would think about vaccines

Despite what you may read on here, many of us never have a problem with Coccidiosis and many of our flocks do not have Marek's. They are both risks you need to be aware of but many of us never vaccinate our chickens, especially the ones of us that hatch our own.

What are my options now for prevenative measures?
For Marek's try to limit exposure to other chickens.

For Coccisiosis, also limit exposure. As yours are only a week old, keep the brooder, coop, and run as dry as you reasonably can and keep water clean. Wet conditions can lead to problems. Also, take a small amount of dirt from where they are going to be living and give them some twice a week. That will help them build up immunity to any strain of Coccisiosis you may have in your dirt, if you have any. If you do that for three weeks they should develop immunity.

If things go terribly wrong what percent of them would I lose or would I lose all of them?
For Coccidiosis learn the symptoms and how to treat if it shows up. As long as you catch it fairly early you should not have a big problem. As long as things are reasonable dry and you keep the water clean it should not be a problem. Many of us never experience a problem.

For Marek's it depends on what strain it is and if your chickens have any natural resistance. You rarely lose more than 50%, especially with a fair number of chickens, though anything is possible.

vaccines work by giving a small amount of said virus to get your immune system a blueprint to work with and know how to fight against it.
Not with the Chicken Marek's vaccine. The vaccine used is Turkey Marek's. It does not stop the chicken from getting the disease, if they are exposed. The Turkey Marek's prevents the lesions that cause the damage from forming. Vaccinated chickens can still catch the disease and spread it, they just won't show symptoms of they get it.

Despite what you may read on here, many of us never have a problem with Coccidiosis and many of our flocks do not have Marek's. They are both risks you need to be aware of but many of us never vaccinate our chickens, especially the ones of us that hatch our own.

For Marek's try to limit exposure to other chickens.

For Coccisiosis, also limit exposure. As yours are only a week old, keep the brooder, coop, and run as dry as you reasonably can and keep water clean. Wet conditions can lead to problems. Also, take a small amount of dirt from where they are going to be living and give them some twice a week. That will help them build up immunity to any strain of Coccisiosis you may have in your dirt, if you have any. If you do that for three weeks they should develop immunity.

For Coccidiosis learn the symptoms and how to treat if it shows up. As long as you catch it fairly early you should not have a big problem. As long as things are reasonable dry and you keep the water clean it should not be a problem. Many of us never experience a problem.

For Marek's it depends on what strain it is and if your chickens have any natural resistance. You rarely lose more than 50%, especially with a fair number of chickens, though anything is possible.

Not with the Chicken Marek's vaccine. The vaccine used is Turkey Marek's. It does not stop the chicken from getting the disease, if they are exposed. The Turkey Marek's prevents the lesions that cause the damage from forming. Vaccinated chickens can still catch the disease and spread it, they just won't show symptoms of they get it.
appologies thats what i was trying to say. that it did not prevent it

Back
Top Bottom