Up-to-Date Feeds with Animal Protein?

Are you sure? It may be time consuming and/ or an inconvenience, but one CAN provide chickens a balanced ration at no cost out of pocket more easily for a small flock than a loge one IMHO.
I cannot. What gets me is having to buy many ingredients, especially the concentrated meals, in bulk which does not agree with my using only about 200 lbs feed / month.

It's about scale; buying ingredients by the truckload vs. by the 50 lb. bag. Growing grain at home isn't free either, and then the cost of the vitamin/mineral ration balancer, which ages out pretty fast, is an issue.
I also don't count all labor as 'free'!
Mary

None of the local stores here Carrie what I want either. But I get it through Azure standard.
Some brands I have used that have animal proteins are H&H, big sky organics, and scratch and peck.

I use Scratch n Peck since they are local for me in the NW. Really good feed but it sounds like there are plenty of local whole grain options for you in PA.

I ferment so the fines with all the good stuff -- fish meal, vitamins, etc -- clump together & don't get wasted. The whole grains also sometimes start to sprout. I hear that helps unlock more of the nutrients.

Depends on where you are, as to whether you can get grains to mix your own. I did it for awhile a few years ago. I thought the farmer had his grains milled too fine in the mash. He sold me peas, wheat, oats, DE, fish meal & Fertrell Nutri Balancer. It worked OK, but the chickens didn't like the peas whole! He would have sold me any amount, small or large, so it could work around here.

Back
Top Bottom