Update - · Chick hatched early, yolk unabsorbed. Need advice

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I think the chick has passed
sad.png
How long should I wait to be sure? My biggest question is, why did it start hatching yesterday if it was still not close enough? The only reason I even helped was it was getting quiter as the day progressed and just left it's beak tip sticking out of hole, do they accidently make holes?!?
Krista

You'll know if it's passed. Just keep it warm and seperate from the others. The very first chick that DH and I had to help out of it's shell had the same problem (we've gotten a bit more experienced and haven't had it happen since.) I thought for sure she was going to die. I boiled up an egg and mashed the yolk and force fed it for about 3 days (4 or 5 times a day as much as I could get her to eat... maybe 2 yolks total.) A tooth pick works great for this. Also make sure you dip his beak so that he can drink. Once she got some energy from the food, she perked up great and I was able to put her back with the other chicks.

My little chick grew into a cute little pullet (till the hawk got her.... I greatly dislike hawks
sad.png
)

Good luck!!!

Jess

I have had eggs pip a couple days early....they thing is to leave them alone. I will tell from experience...lots of experience...if they are not strong enough to hatch on their own, it isn't ment to be. I know that sounds harsh, but it is important to let them take their own course.

Hugs!

Back
Top Bottom