Update 2: From no hope too- wow look at all these babies!

highmountainchick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 26, 2008
OK, I admit it, I'm a newbie at hatching, but we have these beautiful welsummer eggs and I must have them hatch. I have a new Rcom and i can't get the humdy level to go over the 52% mark. i am on day 19. Moved the eggs into hatching position last night, i am using an egg carton method to hatch. It's a paper egg carton. Could the paper be soaking up all the moisture? I candled on day 18 before moving them into position and most eggs were fill with dark except the air cell area, but no movement.

the waiting is killing me!!!!
barnie.gif

I can't focus at work, can't clean dishes, can't do laundry - just waiting for eggs to hatch.

Heck with it, I going back out to the coop to talk to my hens again. Maybe they can
help:sick:th

Update; I found that my Rcom had a plugged drain hole - the humidity was way up and I couldn't get it down. I started poking around, looked in the drain hole with a mirror and saw a piece of something white in the way. STuck some qtips in and a bunch of water started draining out. I wonder if my chicks are water logged now, don't know how long a chick can handle high humidity!???

Last edited:
I have never used an egg carton for hatching, but you can always add wet sponges, papertowles etc to increase humidity.

I have 2 accurites from Wal-Mart one is 5 degrees low, I figured that out after calibration, the other is 10 degrees high so I just mentally adjust what they read in the bator and hatcher. When I start working on project birds I will probably invest in more pricey gauges, but so far I have had decent hatches.

I had problems with this hatch too. First my humidity is 24%, then it's 59%, it took me days to get it right. But of course I'm worried now
sad.png

Don't give up!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

It's not barely even time yet!
wink.png
Give them a while to hatch and don't rush them!
Trust me, it IS hard!
roll.png
I am waiting for my single egg to pip right now, and it's on day 23 and wiggling! :eek:
Good luck!!! I hope you have a GREAT success with your hatch!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

highmountainchick wrote:

the waiting is killing me!!!!
barnie.gif

I can't focus at work, can't clean dishes, can't do laundry - just waiting for eggs to hatch.

LOL I know how you feel! I am waiting for an egg that is wiggling and is on day 23 with no pips yet. Now I am sometimes even forgetting homework
he.gif
because I stay up all night and I sit on the computer, on BYC, looking up stuff about eggs and posting about how the egg is doing. LOL I can't help it!
gig.gif

But I bet it will be even worse once the egg hatches!!
ep.gif
I will be wanting to stay home all day to watch it!!
lau.gif
Someone heellppp meee!!!!!!!!
th.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
th.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
I tried to update the post but I see I didn't do it right. I found my Rcom had a plugged drain hole, so now I am worried about the chicks being water logged. I am on day 20. I candled on yesterday, just one egg, and saw a little movement. so all hope is not lost. Do other people just stand by their incubators, staring at their eggs and think the power of their minds will make the eggs hatch?? or is it just me?
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom