UPDATE: 6 Week Old Walking Odd - Euthanized today 5/10

Thank you VERY much for this encouraging post. I agree that while her gait is odd, she has no other symptoms of Marek's. I will contact a local vet and see if they can do a necropsy when she passes to see what the problem is/was. I've been giving her the hypericum since Monday pm and haven't seen much difference. I do keep her and a friend separated at night only right now. She's still free-ranging with her pals during the day and I think just that she would be miserable if I kept her locked up all day. She isn't so bad that she can't keep up with them. I am giving Sav A Chic in the water as well as the Nutri-Drench Poultry vitamins. I got antibiotics but since she isn't showing other signs of infection, I haven't been giving them.

Thank you for all the help everyone. I have decided today that Lawless needs to be euthanized. She is having a very hard time getting around today.. not able to use the left leg much at all. I can see that she cannot keep up with the others free ranging in the yard and that is distressing to her. She is such a nice bird. She will be missed. That being said, do any of you have experience with the CO2 method of euthanasia? I have heard this is the easiest and most humane method at home. I am referring to this:

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

Any advice is welcome...

I am sorry your having to do this, it's not an easy decision to make. In the past we have had to put a few of ours down and my dh usues an ax. very sharp takes just seconds so very quick and humane. again very sorry
hugs.gif
we always make sure the rest of the flock is not in the area where this is happening too.

I just finished euthanizing my lovely 7 week old black hen Lawless.
sad.png
I know it was for the best but she was just looking at me when I put her in the bucket, so trusting.. so sweet. I feel terrible now even though I know it was for the best. She did progressively get worse and could no longer walk or balance properly. I used the CO2 method which was a bit stressful for her. I did it slowly as the website directed but she did struggle to get out of the container at one point. This wasn't as "peaceful" as I would have liked it to have been to feel like she wasn't stressed or going through distress of some kind. I still think it's the only thing I personally could do to euthanize one of my beloved birds.

So sorry you and Lawless had to go thru that! Sometimes there is no other option. Culling is a skill that I have not tried yet, and I don't want to try it, but I know if you're going to have chickens, you really need to be prepared to cull, otherwise you just prolong their suffering....

I hate this part.

Thanks everyone
sad.png
It was sad.. after the kids and hubby got home we buried her in the back yard. My 2 year old was going "bye bye Lawless"... I was very teary...

Back
Top Bottom